Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 64bit Protection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Epix Scene

Epix Scene

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

ok heres all the things i use to protect my win7 64bit pc : (all are free by the way)

-sandboxie
-firefox with web of trust
-Privatefirewall 7
-Avast!5.0 Free Editon
-ThreatFire
-Malwarebytes -free version
-and i suppose Advance System Care 3.5 Counts. the free version.

what do i need to alter? i cant afford another laptop so i need this one to be really protected.
Fire Wall: Comodo Firewall
Anti-virus: Avast! 5.0 Free Anti-virus
Web Browser: Fire-Fox w/ WOT,Ab-plus,TACO 3.0
On Demand Scanner: MalwareBytes AntiMalware,Hit-Man Pro 3.5
"i prevent the malware, the other stuff are just my sidekicks" -Epix Scene

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:00 PM

Sandboxie - very useful for trying out unknown programs
Firefox - best browser out there...also consider the NoScript addon
Privatefirewall 7 - never heard of it
Avast! - best free AV out there (in my opinion)
Threatfire - you shouldn't be running two active protection anti-viruses at once. If Avast's shields are on, Threatfire's should be turned off (and vice-versa).
MBAM - excellent
Advance System Care - BAD IDEA, and here's why:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

As I've said many times, registry cleaners, tune-up programs, and so-called "optimizers" are the current snake-oil of the internet. There are countless free programs like this and apparently some paid ones, as well.

Do not be deceived. They promise performance you can only dream about....but only deliver a computer that is worse off than it was to begin with.

Uninstall it using Revo Uninstaller.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 03 May 2010 - 07:02 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users