Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean up Program Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

I have had windows 7 installed on my computer for almost a year and I have installed and uninstalled a lot of software. as a result the Program files folder has become cluttered with old files and folders to software no longer installed on my computer. is there an easy way to clean all that up other then reinstalling the entire Operating System? I still have a lot of software on there that would take forever to reinstall it.

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

Well, the best thing you can do when uninstalling software is to use Revo Uninstaller. It scans the hard drive and registry for leftover files and entries (some programs don't clean up after themselves, as you have also shown). I always use it when uninstalling software, with excellent results. :huh:

But, since you've already uninstalled these programs and are simply left with the clutter left behind, there are a few options:

Option 1: Clean install of Windows 7. I know you said you don't want to do this, but it is an option, nonetheless.

Option 2: Reinstall all those old programs, then uninstall them using Revo. I know it seems counter intuitive to do this, but the thing is, Revo can't see those program leftovers right now. Once the programs have been uninstalled, their entries as installed programs are gone, and you're just left with the leftovers. Revo was made to remove the leftovers immediately following uninstallation (everything is done through Revo, so it keeps track of what's going on). So, theoretically, if you reinstalled those programs, Revo would be able to fully remove them this time.

Option 3: Search out the clutter manually and delete what you find.

That's about it, as far as my knowledge goes.

The biggest problem with program leftovers are security programs (firewall, antivirus, etc...). For example, if you don't use the Norton Removal Tool, Norton will leave parts of the program all over your computer when you uninstall it. This can come back later to haunt you (I've seen it happen many times). There isn't really a danger/risk with other common programs like video players, word processors, games, etc...besides the obvious loss of hard drive space.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 CHansohn

CHansohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

Yea I have my computer auto defrag once a week when I'm at work. and my dad gave me a program called uninstall master. to bad there isn't an easy way to remove those folders. oh well I'll probably reinstall the OS when I have a week to burn.

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

No program can uninstall a program that has been removed part way; because it can't find it. I always use REVO first. It removes the program just like Add/Remove would and then goes deeper and cleans the left overs. The options that keyboardNinja has posted is the only way I know of that will keep things clean. M/S has a program that says it will clean up left overs but it has never worked for me on programs that arn't M/S programs.

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:54 AM

hi,,, as stated you can remove them manually from program files and the registry,,,,, if you do remove stuff in the reg then i would back up the registry first just in case,,, if your not happy with editing the reg then leave it alone,,, here's a link with the edit info
http://www.ehow.com/how_6216751_uninstall-...gram-files.html
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users