Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple iexplore.exe issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cactus John

Cactus John

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

Okay here is my back story, then my issue

My laptop's Screen saver REFUSES to start, and it upsets me because I use it as a Clock in my Den. After doing some research I decided to run through all my processes and see if I could find a virus or something that was running that would cause my screen saver to not run. I was online looking up the names of processes AKA CMD.EXE to make sure it was a "good" process. When I stumbled upon, 4 iexplore.exe running!

Issue, when ever I run IE8 it opens 2 instances of iexplore.exe, in about 1 min, another process is open, and then after about 5 minutes a fourth and final is opened! BAH! I rarely get viruses or worms/malware!

I know it's a virus/malware, but I can not seem to find it! Neither can, Avast(virus scanner) Spybot, Adaware, or Hijack this! I do not have anything running in the start up processes. Also I have uninstalled and re-installed IE8 and it took less than a day, for the multiple processes to come back!

I am here to ask this. How do I back track a process to see where it is running from? AKA iexplore.exe how to i find the host folder?

Edited by Cactus John, 03 May 2010 - 01:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

FWIW: In general...opening IE should produce one or two items reflected in Task Manager. Each window in IE opened after that...produces an additional process running in Task Manager.

If you have four windows open in IE, I would expect to find 5/6 iexplore.exe processes in Task Manager.

Louis

#3 Cactus John

Cactus John
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:38 PM

i thought this was the case! but i needed someone to verify it!

thanks, i just tried it and it does open a new instance for each tab!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:54 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users