Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

website images coming out gray

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mejim

mejim

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

I"ve asked this before (to no avail) and still have a problem with some website images that show up as a gray box with maybe a little of the image showing up at the top. So, Why are some web images are turning out gray when I open up a website?
What is interesting, is my wifes computer does the same thing. I've googled and asked on Yahoo answers but not a single person seems to know what I am talking about. Here is what I am talking about in inserted picture below.

Posted Image

What's interesting is my pictures from my camera are all good and I have hundreds on my hard drive. In fact, most pictures come through as they should - clear.
Anyone have an idea what I may do to change this?

I am running Windows XP and IE 8 on my desktop computer. Here is my system information:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name xxxx
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model E-4100
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2393 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. BF86510A.15A.0030.P05.0305220848, 5/22/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name James
Time Zone Alaskan Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 103.03 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.13 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thanks for any answers.

Jim

Edited by mejim, 03 May 2010 - 12:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

Is this just a problem with some pictures on the internet only? Are the same pictures that turn up grey on your computer the same ones that turn up grey on your wifes, or is it completley random?

Have you tried using a different browser to see if it makes any difference, although it sounds as though it could be an ISP problem if it's happening on a seperate computer also. Who is your ISP?

#3 mejim

mejim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

JJ2K,

This usually happens like when I am browsing my online newspaper (99% of the time). Most other sites are okay but I see this occur randomly too. "My Pictures" folder has no problem like this so I can display pictures if I want to.

Wifes computer does not match me and my computer picture for picture so it seems to be random. My laptop does not have this problem so I don't think it is the ISP.

If tis can help, here's the picture I used to see on my online newspaper. It at least had some color before it turned solid gray;

Posted Image

Thanks for helping.

Jim

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:40 AM

Ive experienced this with Firefox, and in Chrome the same site doesn't exhibit this issue. I have experienced it with FoxNEWS only.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

Try the Acid3 Test and let us know what your score is.

EDIT: More information on what the Acid3 Test is and does click here.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 mejim

mejim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

Acid 3 test

My score was 20/100. All boxes were black except the last one which was gray.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:29 PM

I'm not positive, but that score tells me you have some addons or popup blockers or firewall settings that are affecting your browsers ability to render some objects.

I would strip all browsers of any sort of the aforementioned tools and applications and retest, then add whatever you may have removed one by one to find whats causing your rendering issue.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 mejim

mejim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

I tried temorarily remove my popup blockers before but nothing changed.

But good news, I decided to try my Google Chrome browser and wa la! No more gray picture frames. Cool. Never was a fan of Chrome but maybe that just changed.

Thank you guy for getting me headed to the right direction. I didn't think my graphic card or something like that was responsible. Now I know.

:-)

Jim

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

I tried temorarily remove my popup blockers before but nothing changed.

But good news, I decided to try my Google Chrome browser and wa la! No more gray picture frames. Cool. Never was a fan of Chrome but maybe that just changed.

Thank you guy for getting me headed to the right direction. I didn't think my graphic card or something like that was responsible. Now I know.

:-)

Jim

Its something to do with how the hosting provider compresses the output with their HTTP Serving software to make the site load faster. I know this because I would go back to the same page full of the same images, and guess what they would download successfully.

#10 mejim

mejim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:02 AM

ARG!!!!

Google Chrome decided to do something similar on me. My images on Google are now blank and provides no link to "show picture" nor is there a red X in the picture frame.

I dunno. Very frustrating. Was trying to look at some obituary pictures and couldn't get them to open. Crap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users