I am not very technical so please bear with me. Also please bear in mind I am working full time and am very busy at home. I may not be able to get back to this forum every day, but I will try. I have a lot of data on my PC (not on C drive, as the HD is partitioned) and it takes about 6 hours to do a full scan.
* P4 3Ghz
* 2GB RAM
* Vista 32 bit
* Internet connection: Broadband (cable)
I seem to have Malware on my computer randomly causing a click from a SERP (eg. from Google) to go to a strange website. Eg. topdaofinder.com, c.ppcxml.net (deceptive malware warning site) and other random websites from gambling to shopping sites. If I copy and paste the URL I can see in the SERP, it is fine.
This occurs from Firefox 3.6.3 and I have not yet observed it occurring in IE8. I have turned cookie security to "always ask" in FF and to 'Medium High' in IE8. Websites that describe my problem are common and include:
* [url=http://google.com/support/forum/p/web+search/thread?tid=6df7e15519290612&hl=en]http://google.com/support/forum/p/web+sear...90612&hl=en[/url] * [url=http://jogtheweb.computing.net/articles/topdaofinder/ALL-1-forever]http://jogtheweb.computing.net/articles/to...r/ALL-1-forever[/url] * [url=http://bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=267394&hl=topdaofinder&st=15]http://bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.p...inder&st=15[/url] * [url=http://spynomore.com/google-redirect-virus.htm]http://spynomore.com/google-redirect-virus.htm[/url]- Is it possible the creators of the malware make this spynomore program (which you have to buy for $39.95 once it finds your problems) after making the malware and this is how they make their money? I installed spynomore and it did find malware, but my husband said not to trust spynomore so I uninstalled it.
MY ATTEMPTS TO FIX GOOGLE REDIRECT VIRUS
* Norton Antivirus 2010 - updated definitions and full scan found no security threats (uninstalled Norton)
* Microsoft Security Essentials (installed today) - full scan found no security threats
* Windows Defender - quick scan found no security threats
* Malwarebytes - updated definitions and full scan found no security threats
* Super Anti Spyware - quick scan found no security threats
* AdAware - scan found 5 objects and removed
* I have also uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it today and while installing it (eg. after clicking 'Run' for the second time) it caused Adware to shut down unexpectedly. This happened four times. See screen shot:
There is also a script error while importing favourites from IE, but this may not be related to my Malware problem. I really have no idea. No matter how many times I clicked Stop Script and Don't Show Me This Again, it kept coming up until I pressed Continue.
In half an hour of surfing, I have not had the redirect problem from Google in FireFox so it might now be fixed. It is quite random so a bit hard to test. I have to go to work now.
Thanks in advance for your time to comment on this problem, and if this helps anyone else with the same problem, all the better.
Edited by Orange Blossom, 14 May 2010 - 06:34 PM.
Deactivate links. ~ OB