Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Testing Laptop Hardware?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rowan88

Rowan88

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:11 AM

Hi,

A couple of months ago, juice got spilled all over my laptop, TWICE!! lol

Fortunatly the thing still works and all it needed was a new keyboard.

However I noticed it getting extremely sluggish and sometimes even freezing/crashing.

I have the HIREN boot disc and I checked the memory which was fine, then I checked the hardrive which was giving back ERRORS/BAD SECTORS. I tried repairing them but they just come back.

So what im wondering is before I go and buy a new 500gb 2.5" hardrive is there any other test I should do incase there is more problems, I would rather just get a new laptop if im going to be spending over 100 on parts.

All help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Rowan88

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

Rowan88,

If you have been lucky enough to still have your laptop running after spilling juice in it Twice, I would say you are a very lucky person.

As far as the bad sectors on your hard drive, I would recommend using the manufacturers hard drive testing utility to check the drive for full functionality. In my experience, once the drive has experienced bad sectors, 99 chances out of 100 even if they are remapped using the testing utility, the drive will continue to show more and more bad sectors. At this point it would be best to replace the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

I would also recommend checking whether or not your laptop will recognize a 500gb hard drive before purchasing such a large drive.

This link will provide you with links to the manufacturers hard drive testing utilities. - > Link.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 Rowan88

Rowan88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for the fast reply,

Like I say I know the hardrive is unrepairable as everytime I fix the bad sectors more appear (like you say).

And I can have a 500gb as thats what I have in it just now (Acer Timeline Aspire 5810T).

I will buy a new hardrive but is there any other test I should check for it running bad like CPU or GPU etc etc?

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:54 AM

If as you have used the computer all else seems to work good ( no video anomolies, no odd ball lockups that could not be attributed to the hard drive ) I would suggest continuing on installing a new drive.

Good Luck with your laptop,

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 Rowan88

Rowan88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:47 AM

Thanks alot for your help,

Yeh it just seems to at times freeze, take long to respond etc, so im assuming its just the hardrive but time will tell.

Also ATA is a SATA drive correct?

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

What Model Acer laptop do you have?

It's possible to find out that way.

More than likely, you have a non-sata drive.

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#7 Rowan88

Rowan88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

I mentioned in the last post m8:

Acer Aspire TIMELINE 5810t (Intel Core 2 Solo, 4GB DDR3 Ram, 500GB HD, Intel GMA 4500HD Up to 1244mb)

#8 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:10 PM

According to this listing here, Your hard drive is SATA.

I would visually double check this by removing the drive and visually inspecting the connector.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users