Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

some web sites became unreachable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tempotempo

tempotempo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:43 AM

Hi,

I'm not sure what it might be but one day I noticed that about a dozen of websites I open regularly became unavailable. "The connection has timed out."

nslookup works OK and I get IP address resolved, I also tried tracert, it goes through 5-10 hops and then times out. I can still open some web sites but not all of them. I can open all web sites via online proxy so they are all up and running.

I have ADSL modem connected to my laptop, no routers, the modem doesn't have any static routing tables, so as far as I understand it, the list of hosts I see in tracert output depends on my ISP router.

The ISP is able to open all "problem" web sites on their side, but I can't get any help from them as they say that since tracert goes beyond their network it's not their problem and it's my computer actually blocking some of web sites.

I'm not aware of any software on my laptop which could possibly do that as well as I don't have any routing/proxy programs installed, so it seems that it might be a virus or some malicious software.

So what do I do? Try to find a virus or can it be a system issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Tech-Geek

Tech-Geek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:51 AM

Hi I'm new to this site but I'd like to help you.

Try downloading a alternate browser (I reccomend Google Chrome). This will make sure the problem isn't in your browser at least. Also can you ping any of those sites you can't get to?

#3 tempotempo

tempotempo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

Hi I'm new to this site but I'd like to help you.

Try downloading a alternate browser (I reccomend Google Chrome). This will make sure the problem isn't in your browser at least. Also can you ping any of those sites you can't get to?

As I already wrote, I use "tracert" to check availability of the site so it's not a problem of a specific browser (of which I have 4 installed on my laptop). Ping doesn't work as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users