Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with moving RAID 1 to new PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tech-Geek

Tech-Geek

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:27 AM

Hello All. I have a small PC repair business and I'm having a issue with a customers computer.

He purcahsed a new motherboard, proc, and memory for his computer. I installed it for him. He didn't mention that he had a RAID setup. I moved the HD to the new PC and they booted fine. All drives where auto installed via windows updates. When we returned he asked we setup his raid for him.

What I've tried so far:
1.)Checked BIOS to make sure RAID-1 was booting
2.)Made boot floppy and tried to repair install windows while in RAID1 (No previous versions found)
3.)Tried to enter repair mode and run bootcfg (Path or File not specified)
4.)Put HD back in Native-IDE mode and removed attempt repair install on each drive 1 at a time.(No previous version found)
5.)Tried to enter repair mode and run bootcfg on single drive(Path or File not specified)
6.)Removed HD and connected to running Pc. All files show up on HD.

I've worked with raid before and added both drives to an array and assiged it RAID 1. Now the system will not boot.

MOBO: Gigabyte MA78LM-s2h
HD: 2 250GB SATA HD.

I feel like I need to repair the MBR of the board so windows can see the partitions again? Or am I missing somthing. Any insights would be appreciated.

Edited by Tech-Geek, 03 May 2010 - 02:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tech-Geek

Tech-Geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:44 AM

Right now I'm trying MBRWorks tool to recover Windows Partitions to the MBR.

#3 Tech-Geek

Tech-Geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:14 AM

Good news.
MBRWorks Toolw as able to recover a windows partition and write that info back to the drive. Bad news is it still will not boot. But when I goto the recovery console I get a differet error and told to run chkdsk when I run it I get a error that the volume contains unrecoverable errors. I then rad avira ntfs4dos and had another error. Not sure what to do next but its been a long day. Going to goto bed and come back swinging in the am.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:24 AM

You will have to rebuild the RAID array, as you simply cannot move the entire array to a new system with new components. It is not possible. You must format all drives again setup the RAID and reinstall all the programs.

#5 Tech-Geek

Tech-Geek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

Hi CryptoDan,
I figured as much was hopin though. I also figured out my mistake last nite right before bed. I should have broken the array then attempted to rebuild it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users