Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clueless

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frmj2002

frmj2002

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 02:13 AM

HEllo everyone. I just got a used laptop from my coworker. After I log in it says "The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\WININET.dll is not a valid Windows Image. Please check this against your installation diskette"... What does that mean and is it fixable??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:27 AM

It may be corrupted insert your windows xp cd assuming you have the cd and is xp when the autorun install appears close it. Go to start and in the run box type cmd.exe press enter.

Type: expand d:\i386\wininet.dll_c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll

Press enter a confirm overwrite box may appear type y press enter.

If your cd\dvd drive is a different letter change it from d to whatever the drive letter is for your drive.

type exit to close cmd prompt.

restart pc log in to windows and see if that has cured it.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:33 AM

Try running a sfc: Microsoft Windows XP - System File Checker ( sfc )

Use the parameters: sfc /scannow
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

"not a valid Windows Image" message may indicate some infection.
I suggest, you start new topic at "Am I Infected?" forum.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users