Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I bypass F1 or F2 in bios screen at start up?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sherri235

sherri235

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:48 AM

Hi all, nice to be back here. I had a question about adjusting bios screen or bypassing it altogether to get Windows to come up at start up...I performed a search and the issues that came up aren't mine or the topics are locked w/o resolution w/ regard to this.

It seems that only pressing f1 or F2 gets us to windows splash screen and login screen. Could this really just be the battery in the cpu going bad? I tried adjusting boot options in the setup menus but this isn't the issue. I don't mind the black screen, in fact it makes me feel safer after experiencing the windows lock out a while back w/a virus, but someone else does and wants it gone for now.
Computer is:
Dell Dimension 510
Windows XP home edition

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:54 AM

Could this really just be the battery in the cpu going bad?

Yes it could. If the CMOS backup battery is flat and each time the system starts there are no stored BIOS settings, you may be required to enter the BIOS setup and accept defaults on each boot.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

Could this really just be the battery in the cpu going bad?

Yes it could. If the CMOS backup battery is flat and each time the system starts there are no stored BIOS settings, you may be required to enter the BIOS setup and accept defaults on each boot.

I totally agree with this statement, and I would like to add that if the CPU was dying you probably wouldn't get the system to post at all.

#4 sherri235

sherri235
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

Thanks. I'm curious...what other fixes or adjustments are needed if the battery is okay? In other words, what else is causing this?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

Replace the battery...reset the date/time in the BIOS...save the settings...reboot.

See if it goes smoothly.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp. No need to write down any settings, removing the old battery will restore the system defaults.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users