Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

freezing comp

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 malcolm man

malcolm man

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:29 AM

This was posted in the Windows XP forum and a user suggested I post here:

"Windows XP Pro 2002
SP2
2.61 AMD 64dual
4GB RAM

I've been having this problem off and on for the last year or so. I know that seems like a long time to ignore a problem but it seldom froze and I just accepted that computers do that from time to time. However, within the last week, it's been getting pretty bad. I had it freeze three times in a row within 15 min.

Each time it freezes, I have to restart the computer. I know of no other way to pull it out.

There doesn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason to the freezing. Some times it will freeze when doing processor intensive activities like rendering out a 3D project (I'm a motion graphics artist) and some time it'll do it when I'm just browsing the web.

I only have a few guesses. I'm using wireless internet that is pretty spotty. Sometimes when the internet goes out, it seems to freeze; although the two may be unrelated. I have an external Seagate 1.4 TB HD hooked up via USB2. Some times, it will make this weird clicking noise (like it's searching the drive. It's brand new, so it's not going out or anything like that) and the comp will freeze. Again, they might be unrelated. Those are just my two guesses.

As you can imagine, this freezing has caused me to loose loads of work and is extremely annoying.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Malcolm"

I've been running Microsoft Security essentials and have Windows built-in firewall turned on. I don't thhhhink I'm infected...as far as I know...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users