Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to update anti-malware programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chacer

chacer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

None of the anti-malware programs I have will update and in many cases I am being redirected when I try to access their websites or I get an unable to connect message. Occasionally I get fake alert pop-ups (windows has detected a system infection run anti-spyware now etc.) tomorrow I am going to transfer an updated version of MBAM from another computer and run that to see if it turns up anything. Right now all my programs say nothing is found but they haven't been updated in weeks due to this problem, I am at the end of my knowledge so any advice at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:18 AM

-- Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. Other types of malware may delete the main mbam.exe executable file during installation or when attempting to perform a scan which results in various errors. If that's the case, please refer to the suggestions provided in For those having trouble running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for using Rkill or downloading a renamed version of mbam.exe. Do not reboot after running Rkill. Immediately after running this tool, you need to perform your scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Note: You may have to make repeated attempts to use Rkill several times before it will run as some malware variants try to block it.

If you get an alert that Rkill is infected, ignore it. The alert is a fake warning given by the rogue software which attempts to terminate tools that try to remove it. If you see such a warning, leave the warning on the screen and then run Rkill again. By not closing the warning, this sometimes allows you to bypass the malware's attempt to protect itself so that Rkill can perform its routine.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 chacer

chacer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

thanks for your reply, I have ran rkill numerous times and I am able to run mbam, but it is not catching it, the main problem is that I am being blocked from updating or even accessing malware bytes web page. When I try to update I get an error code 732 which is server connection problem, or I get a server not found message when I try to access the website, same thing with Superantispyware, and spybot teatimer.

#4 chacer

chacer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

I have also checked to make sure that I am not using proxys

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

Checking the proxy settings would have been my next suggestions. Since you already did that, lets try doing an online scan to see if you find anything.

Please perform a scan with Kaspersky Online Virus Scanner.
-- Requires free Java Runtime Environment (JRE) to be installed before scanning for malware as ActiveX is no longer being used.
-- This scan will not remove any detected file threats but it will show where they are located so they can be cleaned with other tools.
  • Vista users need to right-click the IE or FF Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar icons and Run As Administrator from the context menu.
  • Read the "Advantages - Requirements and Limitations" then press the Posted Image... button.
  • You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click the Run button. It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions.
  • When the downloads have finished, you should see 'Database is updated. Ready to scan'. Click on the Posted Image... button.
  • Make sure these boxes are checked. By default, they should be. If not, please check them and click on the Posted Image... button afterwards:
    • Detect malicious programs of the following categories:
      Viruses, Worms, Trojan Horses, Rootkits
      Spyware, Adware, Dialers and other potentially dangerous programs
    • Scan compound files (doesn't apply to the File scan area):
      Archives
      Mail databases
  • Click on My Computer under the Scan section. OK any warnings from your protection programs.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
  • Once the scan is complete (the 'status' will show complete), click on View Scan Report and any infected objects will be shown.
  • Click on Save Report As... and change the Files of type to Text file (.txt)
  • Name the file KAVScan_ddmmyy (day, month, year) before clicking on the Save button and save it to your Desktop.
  • Copy and paste (Ctrl+C) the saved scan results from that file in your next reply.
-- Note: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users