Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Joining 568-B Wiring with 568-A Wiring

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 llixgrijb

llixgrijb

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:35 PM

I'm planning on joining two ethernet cables together with a coupler in order to make one long cable. The problem is, one cable has 568-B wiring and the other has 568-A wiring. Will this kind of connection work, and if so, how will it affect the integrity of my network?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:13 AM

Im thinking that you would just make a crossover cable. . . crossover cables are used to connect to like devices, like two PCs directly. I dont know what devices you plan connecting but if im not mistaking, some routers will be able to detect a crossover cable, and adjust accordingly.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#3 llixgrijb

llixgrijb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:28 AM

The two cables will go directly from the router to a single computer. I just want to extend the existing cable's length using a coupler and all I have available is a cable with different wiring.

#4 llixgrijb

llixgrijb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:28 AM

The two cables will go directly from the router to a single computer. I just want to extend the existing cable's length using a coupler but all I have available is a cable with different wiring.

Edited by llixgrijb, 03 May 2010 - 08:31 AM.

#5 llixgrijb

llixgrijb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

This is what I'm planning to do:

Posted Image

#6 Orecomm

Orecomm

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

It will work. The only difference between 568A and 568b is the color code sequence for pairs 2 and 3. Since the pairs are wired alike (except for the color of wire used) and straight through, and the coupler is straight through, the result is a piin for pin extended cable. You should be sure the total cable length is under 300 feet, but I suspect that isn't much of a problem.

#7 llixgrijb

llixgrijb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

It will work. The only difference between 568A and 568b is the color code sequence for pairs 2 and 3. Since the pairs are wired alike (except for the color of wire used) and straight through, and the coupler is straight through, the result is a piin for pin extended cable. You should be sure the total cable length is under 300 feet, but I suspect that isn't much of a problem.

The end connected to the modem is 568b and the end connected to the computer is 568a. Wouldn't that in essence be a crossover cable? That's what I'm trying to avoid.

#8 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

No, hes right. I dont know what i was thinking. although the colors are different it does not change the pins will not change. Im not sure what i was trying to in-vision the other day, but Orecomm is right
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#9 llixgrijb

llixgrijb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

Just got the coupler today. Works great, no perceptible lag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users