Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

browsers disabled on 2 computers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 limabean00

limabean00

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:19 PM

I am having the same problem on both my PC & laptop. A few months ago we had some spyware on the PC. We were able to go into Safe Mode and remove it with Malwarebytes. After that IE stopped working on the PC. Recently we had a very similar problem on the laptop, but this time it disabled Malwarebytes. Finally we were able to remove it with Revo Uninstaller, but now IE isn't working on the laptop either. I'm sorry I can't tell you what the spyware was, I can't seem to find a history or log file on Revo!

Both computers use Windows XP. I've run scans with Spybot, Malwarebytes, AVG, etc. on the PC and laptop, and both seem to be clean.

We are able to use Firefox, but it seems to be limited. There are several add-ons that won't update or download correctly. I assumed that the spyware must have done something to IE when I removed it, so I tried updating to IE8, but it didn't help. I have also tried downloading Netscape, Google Chrome, Opera, and Safari, but none of them will connect to the internet. I also tried going into firewall settings and making an exception for each browser, but that doesn't work either.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 03 May 2010 - 01:11 AM.
Move to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:44 AM

Download this file and save it to your desktop:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr

Double-click the file to run it. A command window will open briefly. Then run a quick scan with Malwarebytes. Post the Malwarebytes log.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users