Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting RAW file system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Caspersim

Caspersim

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

Got a laptop, Windows XP, that had liquid spilled over it and no longer turns on....I removed the HDD and put it in my HP hard drive enclosure.... the drive turns on and Windows 7 installs driver but it does not show up under 'my computer'....when I load 'computer management' it attempts to 'initialize disk' but the error "the media is write protected' comes up...I have searched for answers to this, attempting reg modification and command line formatting, but neither worked. The file system is RAW and 'computer management' shows the drive as a cd-rom icon... I do not care about the contents of the drive, formatting it is what I would like to accomplish.

Windows 7
HDD came from Windows XP
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse,
intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over
governments by controlling the money and its issuance."

~ 4th US President James Madison

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

The appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic will format it, in addition to checking functionality.

Louis

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:00 PM

Check the documentation of your external enclosure and look for any locking/security mechanisms. There maybe a toggle switch on the side or inside of the external enclosure that is enabling write protection.

#4 Caspersim

Caspersim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:03 PM

Thanks guys.

There is no toggle switch for write protection...the documentation is pretty much a quick install guide in 19 languages....I downloaded a Fujitsu Diagnostics tool and it was unable to find the HDD in question. Maybe the HDD itself is bunk...
"History records that the money changers have used every form of abuse,
intrigue, deceit, and violent means possible to maintain their control over
governments by controlling the money and its issuance."

~ 4th US President James Madison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users