Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE screen blank in Vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Stiff_Richard

Stiff_Richard

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

I ask an expert:

I have been given a computer with some problems to fix. It is a (lemme look real quick, it is a friend's computer):

Dell Inspiron 1521
Windows Vista Home Premium (SP2)
AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-50
2.00 GB
32-bit

When I was given this to work on, first thing I had a problem with was constant window pop ups at start up (Bad Image) and no ability to get any type of internet service. It was connected, it had a status of "connected" with a speed around 400 Mbps, but when I attempted to open a page, it would say that it could not display the page. Also, it wouldn't do updates. Through some other arbitrary forum of some sort someone had said to do, if I remember this correctly, SFC /SCANNOW which did something, not sure what (fixed a disk error or two), but I was able to do updates. At this point, all Windows updates are done, I was able to update and run Malwarebytes Malware on the computer (which showed no problems), then via a thumb drive, put Avast on the computer, get the update and run the full sys scan. This showed 28 infected files...all MP3s. They are locked in the chest.

The problem I am still having is getting to the internet with an actual web page to show. What I am saying is, if I open IE7 (or 8), it won't even display the homepage, the screen is just blank. For funnies, and before I finished the last sentence, I again used my thumb drive, downloaded Firefox 3.6.3, as a test....viola! I have internet connection, but I want them (the people who that own the computer) to have use of their IE7. Don't want to open people up to something new; it may change the whole space-time continuum. Anywho, that is my problem...the blank screen in Internet Explorer. :thumbsup:

BTW, the reason I don't know which version of IE they have (as it could be IE8) is because all the options in most of the drop down menus are greyed out. This confuses me also.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stiff_Richard

Stiff_Richard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

Ok, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users