Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:35 AM

Hi to my Bleeping Computer family !!!

I have a Dell Dimension E520. The video card went bad in it and I need advice on what to buy next. The computer is in my care but it's not mine. The computer wouldn't boot , it just beeped a couple times. I looked inside and saw that the video card had some round stacks , that had the tops of them pushed up. I pulled the v-card and the computer booted just fine. The computer is used to do a little gaming but not too heavy. I also noticed that there was very little extra ventilation inside the computer case. This card didn't even have it's own fan on it. I would like to buy a v-card about the same size as this one, but with a fan on it. The card that was in it says that it's a :
Zotac Tech. GeForce 7200GS 128M TC V/D/TV
I want another card to put in the computer but it doesn't have to be the "BEST ONE" on the market.
Any advice is greatly appreciated !!!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

Well firstly tell us your price range. you can prob pick up a nice ATI card for $50..
Try newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150335 Looks a nice card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814125250 Also looks a decent card.

Or if you in the Uk like myself.
www.ebuyer.com
http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pricelow...t=10&page=1 - lowest prices starting from around 20.

Go for an ATI if you can. i beleive they are a better card. but before reinstalling a card or installig one, remove all drivers for the previous card installed. then once the card is inserted, remember to download the latest drivers after installing the disk, unless its a old WinXP disk and your trying to run Win7 .

ATi is usualyl just a catalyst program download and thats the driver package aswell

Hope you find the right card
~ Chris

#3 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

I haven't looked at the links already posted so I don't know how this one compares to those but here it is.

amazon.com EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB DDR2 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card $65

If anyone knows of a better card for the same price or less then please let him know.

#4 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for all your advice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The first 2 cards mentioned by eastonch say that they are for a 64bit system. This system is a 32bit system. The second card looks like a good one but at almost $70.00, thats a bit steep for me. Do you know of a less expensive one ? All help is greatly appreciated !!!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#5 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

The one on Amazon has a $10 rebate so it would be $55 in the end. Check on Ebay and see if they have them selling for less. I don't know of another card cheaper than that.

#6 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:36 AM

Thank everyone for thier advice !!!! I did order one that M332 had mentioned. I hope one day I can help you all in return !!!!

#7 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:09 PM

You're welcome. Let us know how you like it when you get it installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users