Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing or corrupt hal.dll msg

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dinudanu

dinudanu

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

Hi,

I had purchased an two 512 mb internal ram to upgrade my computer running on xp pro with sp3. After installing the ram xp doesnt start up and shows missing hal.dll file .. i googled and tried using the recovery console method but it dint work .. the problem here is aplenty
1. I have an original xp but dont have the key or the cd.
2. I borowed my frnds xp cd with sp2 to try using the recovery console .. (nothing worked it did not recognise c,d,e,f drive) the only drive it recognised is the cd drive.. for all the other drives it showed invalid path name. or incorrect parameters. so i am unable to apply all the commands and chkdsk.

Do i need to use a winxp cd with sp3 for recovery console .. is there anyway i can find my key?.. or is it possible to connect my internal harddisk to my laptop and open it copy important files ... my system is 6 yrs old .. and worked absolutely fine for the whole six yrs.

i would not like to reformat the system .. so kindly suggest me alternate methods.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

<<...i googled and tried using the recovery console method but it dint work ..>>

System manufacturer and model?

It helps if we know what link you were following...how far you got before problems...any error messages while attempting...whether you followed the procedure exactly and it just did not resolve the hal.dll problem.

I have about 5 links (in my mini-library) for dealing with missing/corrupt hal.dll:

Hal.dll Corrupt Or Missing - http://www.merchantcircle.com/blogs/Fowler...missing./175165

How to fix hal.dll is missing or corrupt in windows - http://www.troublefixers.com/how-to-fix-ha...upt-in-windows/

Hal.dll Missing Or Corrupt - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3962105

Missing Hal.dll - Missing Or Corrupt Hal.dll Error Message in Windows XP - Fix Hal.dll - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...ssinghaldll.htm

Missing Windows hal.dll file - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000490.htm

Restore Hal.dll - How To Restore Hal.dll From the Windows XP CD - Hal.dll - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble...storehaldll.htm

<>

Again...system manufacturer and model? Some manufacturers provided restore/recovery disks for their systems...some also implanted restore/recovery partitions on their systems...which allow users to reset the system within the parameters designed by the manufacturer.

<>

Well...that CD may not work with any other system, as explained above about recovery/restore CDs. Additionally...if the CD is a Microsoft Genuine XP CD that contains SP2...and your system reflects SP3 installation...you will be unable to run either the sfc /scannow command or attempt a repair install using that disc.

If you were only trying to access the RC and it would not do so...I would have to guess that it's not a MS Genuine XP CD, but a restore/recovery CD supplied by a system manufacturer. Or it's dirty and needs cleaning. There is no need for either password or XP license/key when accessing the XP Recovery Console.

If you want a bootable copy of the RC, see How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/.

<>

No, see above.

<>

Only if you can boot into XP.

<>

It's always possible to copy files...but you probably won't be able to read the key, since I believe it's stored in the system in an encrypted format. I've not tried what you ask about.

Take a look at Recover XP/Vista Key From Unbootable System. You can also Google for other info, using the phrase "find XP key from unbootable system" or something similar.

Louis

#3 dinudanu

dinudanu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the early reply louis

My system is an assenbled one which has amd anthlon ... win xp pro sp3... 256 mb ram (hynix company) .. lg dvd drive... it was purchased 6 yrs ago and no modification was done until now .. it has 2 os win 98 in c drive and win xp in e drive. It was assembled by my frnd who is in U.S.A rite now.

Has my system became slow .. i bought a '2' 512mb ram ... I installed 1 512 mb ram and powered on the system it worked fine .. then i added the other 512 mb ram but this time it showed me the hal.dll corrupt message. Both the ram is fine has it worked fine with other system.

So i searched in google and followed various links .. almost all of them said the same thing about using a xp cd and go into recovery mode and use the chdsk,fixmbr,del boot.ini commands.. now the problem is i could not use any of these command ...

i put in the xp cd and changed the settings in the bios to boot from cd .... it booted from and cd and asked me select from 3 options .. i pressed r ... instead asking me to select the windows installation or password it directly went into command prompt .. with c drive has its default ... has xp was in e drive i tried going into e drive .. but it said path was incorrect or parameters were wrong ... no commands would work with any drive (c.d.e.f) i guess it did not recognise it .. only g drive was accessible which is the cd drive . so i could not use any commands or go any further repairing it ..

then again i rebooted the system to boot from cd and went into recovery mode but the same thing happened ..

then i tried the first option of installing the xp ... it went inside and asked me to select the drive in which xp needs to be installed so i quit it ( one of the link suggested that there would be a repair option if we try install xp again were all my old data would be there .. Hope u understood what i m saying)

So thats has far i tried .. Please tell me what i would need to try from now

I checked u r links .. but dint try anything .. even they are almost the same .. i have downloaded the mirror image of recovery console . i still need to write it in cd has u told .. i have nero .. can u tell me how to create bootable cd from nero. thanks

Dinesh

Edited by dinudanu, 04 May 2010 - 09:30 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

I suspect that your "XP CD" is not a Genuine XP CD...it doesn't seem to act as an XP CD would.

In any case, various methods for burning a bootable CD from an .iso file: How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

How much RAM is currently installed?

Louis

#5 dinudanu

dinudanu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:16 AM

Rite now i have 2 512 mb ram installed.

#6 dinudanu

dinudanu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:50 AM

It's the same with the new bootable cd .. Apparently my drives are not recognised.

"the specified folder is not valid or there is no disk in the drive"

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

<<the specified folder is not valid or there is no disk in the drive>>

Hmm...if I saw that message...I would think that the RC/Windows is trying to find a file on the CD/disc, rather than looking at the hard drive. Exactly what command sparks this message...and does this occur while running from the Recovery Console?

As for drives not being recognized...when you boot into the RC, does it not detect your Windows installation? If it does, then there's no problem with hard drive detection/recognition.

Louis

#8 dinudanu

dinudanu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:27 AM

Once i press R to go into recovery mode ... the screen after sometimes directly goes to dos window saying welcome to windows recovery console with jus "c:/" see below .... Has i have win xp installed in E drive i type "e:" to go into e drive .. thats when i get that message ..

Welcome to windows recovery console
...... i dont know what was typed here ---
the specified folder is not valid or there is no disk in the drive
C:/

But i can acces my g drive alone which is my cd drive .... i Cannot go into C,D,E,F Drive... One of the links u provided me asked me to expand the cd drive and copy a file to windows installation something like this " expand D:/i386/hal.dl_ c:/windpows" ... Though i din try this command i am sure it will give a incorrect parameter message has none from drive is recognised in recovery console.

"As for drives not being recognized...when you boot into the RC, does it not detect your Windows installation?"
No it doesnt detect it.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:46 AM

Hmmm...I don't know.

From what I've seen...the only systems that may have difficulty finding valid Windows installs from the RC...are proprietary/OEM systems (HP, etc.) that reflect other partitions installed by the manufacturer.

Hold on and let's see what ideas others may have:).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users