Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removal of partition on my netbook

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 al84

al84

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

hi all,
i have a newish net book and im sick of not being able to download and install things because i have no space left on my c drive. I have a 240gb hard drive which is slpit into C and D. C is full mainly with windows 7 and other operating stuff. D has about 108gb free. I made D much smaller hoping to be able to extend C to take the free memory but it wont give me the option to click on extend drive when i right click C. Im not great with computers and was wondering wether anyone would advise me how to sort this.
thanks for reading
Aaron

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

Worth Reviewing

If it were me, I would just use the Easeus application mentioned because I'm familiar with it.

Louis

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:12 PM

Type the following into the Start Menu, and hit Enter:

diskmgmt.msc

Maximize this Disk Management window, then take a screenshot using this tutorial. Upload it to the internet (any file/image hosting site will do, I use Imageshack). Then post a link to it here in your topic.

This makes it easier to see what's going on in the partitions and drives on your system.

I agree with Louis...Easeus is the better program to use for resizing partitions. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 al84

al84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:21 AM

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/3514/diskmgmt.png

thanks

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

That other partition is the system recovery partition. I would keep it, and why did you set up partitions?

It is always best to use the full drive when ever installing an OS like Windows it saves a lot of headaches.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

Yeah, leave the 400MB partition alone.

Also, I have to agree with cryptodan...you don't need separate partitions. You should backup everything on the D: partition to an external hard drive, delete the D: partition, extend C: back into the free space, and restore your data that was formerly on D: back to C:.

I don't really see how you could have used over 100GB on a netbook....but whatever. Windows needs room (hard drive space) to breath. You're going to experience worse problems than just not being able to install programs if you don't free up some space.

Another reason to not have 2 partitions: where do you draw the line for how much to allocate for C and D? If you give C 20GB of space from D, who's to say you won't need 2GB more in a month? Why not just have it all as one partition and be done with it? You could also put a bigger hard drive in it (320GB or 500GB instead of your current 250GB) since you use so much space.

#7 al84

al84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

I haven't installed anything on here except office, that memory was full when i got it! how much space does windows 7 take up? when i take memory from d and make it spare, i right click on c but it wont give me the option to extend. will it if i delete d completely?

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:43 PM

Okay, what do you define as "new-ish" (quoted from your original post)? Obviously it is not OEM new, or all the hard drive space wouldn't be taken up. A clean install of Windows 7 takes about 6GB (plus whatever crapware comes preinstalled, if you're talking OEM).

Yes, if you deleted D, it would allow you to extend C into the free space (as explained in my last post).

But if it were me, I would just do a full format and clean install.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 03 May 2010 - 12:43 PM.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

Also, download and run Disk Space Reporter if you want to know where all the hard drive space is being used.

#10 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

if the d drive is 94% full couldn't he resize?

I have done this with treesize and partition magic but sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

If you have an external just back up and reformat the whole thing to avoid the hassle of losing something or having an unreadable partition.

Edited by thrillhouse, 03 May 2010 - 01:19 PM.

#11 al84

al84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

ok sorry to be a pain in the arse,
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/5446/90684710.png
thats the result of the disc space reporter
can you tell me why i cant just shrink d and extend c? it just wont let me.
i also have no windows disc because there is no CD drive.
shall i just take it to the pc shop and get the bloke there to sort it for me or is it easy to do?
ive had the laptop for about a month but i think its last years model
cheers for taking time to help me on a bank holiday!!!!

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:14 PM

Okay, let me be more clear: where did you get the netbook from?

Something isn't lining up here...your Disk Space Reporter report says your C: drive has about 17GB used...but Disk Management says you've used almost all 116GB...I don't know why there is a discrepancy. That is very strange...

Okay, if you want to size down D, use Easeus. Shrink D from the left to the right, then extend C from the left to the right (into the space formerly occupied by D). Be sure to click Apply in the lower left pane of the window.

By the way, you can install Windows 7 on any computer without having to use the DVD directly. If it's a regular, "retail copy" of Windows 7 (OEM copies don't typically work), you can copy the setup files as-is from the DVD to an external hard drive, mark the partition as active, then boot off it and install Windows 7. This is how I do all my clean installs of Windows 7, as it is much faster than using the DVD (hard drive spins faster than optical drive). Makes it easier to install on the netbook, too, for obvious reasons (no optical drive).

#13 al84

al84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:59 AM

ok I had a right mare, started messing around with the partition and it didn't work so i forgot about it. when i turned it on today it wouldn't start saying mgbdisk missing or something along those lines. so ive just taken it to pc world and the guy there is going to reinstall windows and get rid of the partition.
Thanks for all your help anyway, I wont mess about with it anymore, some things are best left to people who know how!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users