Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBR Rootkit Hooks Detected - How to Remove

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Derek_T

Derek_T

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:43 AM

Hi Folks,

I got one of those nasty Anti Malware Doctor 2010 viruses recently and since cleaning with Malwarebytes my computer has not been right. If I try to visit or google anything with "windowsupdate" in the title the browser show a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" I also only get about 15mins out of the computer before the whole thing hangs.

I ran Combofix and it detected MBR rookit hooks. I decided best way to fix was a repair install from XP CD but the rootkit wont let the CD boot. It comes up with a STOP 0x0000007B error. As if the drive was faulty but I know the drive is fine. So I now have no idea how to fix the MBR or how to get rid of this rootkit infection. The forums say dont post the Combofix log until asked to do so but I have it ready if anyone wants a look.

Many thanks,
Derek

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:29 PM

Hello,

Rootkits require specialized tools to remove. Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting from step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the ComboFix log you already have in your new topic and a description of your computer issues. Please DO NOT run ComboFix again unless you are instructed to by one of the team.

If you cannot produce any of the other logs, then please create the new topic anyway, include the information that you were unable to produce the other logs and why and include the ComboFix log along with a description of your computer issues.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users