Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot access symantec website

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 vanish

vanish

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:46 AM

This seems to be an old isse but i was not able to get much help from searching previous posts. I suspect my machine has been infected by a spyware which is preventing me from accessing symantec and mcafee websites I run a symantec AV and am not able to update the virus definitions.

I have run ad ware, trend micro housecall and spybot to check for any ifection and have cleaned system of reported bugs. However the problem still persists.

I am posting the hijack this log. Appreciate if someone can help me clean my system.

Configuration - Windows XP on Athalon 64x RAM 512 KB

EDIT: Removed HJT log as unnecessary ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 02 May 2010 - 07:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:42 AM

System manufacturer and model?

It is highly unlikely that a given AV website will be targeted, while others are not....so your statements regarding such seem to point in another direction.

What Symantec program is installed, what version?

Symantec users routinely have problems updating...have you tried uninstalling the parent application and Live Update...and then reinstalling same?

Why were you trying to access the McAfee website?

Louis

#3 vanish

vanish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

I have not tried to uninstall/ re-install the symantec antivirus since i cannot even open the symantec.com webpage from internet explorer or mozilla. While i am able to access the site from my laptop.

I searched over internet and noted that this problem is seen to occur when the system has some spyware (WORM_AGOBOT.IE.was mentioned in the thread - http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34104 )

I tried to access mcafee website only to check if any other common AV sites are being blocked. Trendmicro.com seems to work fine though.

Please help.

Regards,
V-Anish

#4 vanish

vanish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:36 AM

Mekarls,

Not sure i understand your question about toll number.

I tried running the AV and spyware on safe mode and then accessing the site in "Safe mode with Network support". It still does not work.

regards,

Anish

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

Mekarls,

Not sure i understand your question about toll number.

Apologies for member Mekarls who was posting, just to get their spamlink in. Please disregard. Post removed and member banned for spamming.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 vanish

vanish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:40 PM

Folks, is there anyway i can resolvve the issue with accessing Symantec site. If this is not a spyware / virus issue, can someone help me with the right section under which to post a query?

#7 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:32 PM

Just as an extra malware check, I would download the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Make sure you update it to the latest database, and then run a Quick Scan. Remove anything it finds, then reboot your computer and run another Quick Scan to make the scan comes back clean.

Then, if you have not deliberately configured your hosts file, you can reset it back to default by following the instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Let me know how you get on. :thumbsup:

Edited by marktreg, 08 May 2010 - 11:03 PM.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:50 PM

I would actually recommend running a full Malwarebytes' scan. The Quick scan is just that..quick (not thorough enough).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 marktreg

marktreg

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:53 PM

Quick Scan or Full Scan, they're both good. :thumbsup:

The differences between a Quick Scan and Full Scan are explained here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=10405

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

I see...well, I still prefer the peace of mind I get from running a full scan. Besides, when my sister's computer was infected with a rogue spyware, a quick scan did not detect it...a full scan took care of it. Yes, I understand the quick scan checks all "normal" places malware is located, but like I said, I still prefer a full scan.

Thanks for the link, though. It does clear up some things. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

Since OP has now submitted a malware removal log, I am closing this thread.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users