Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what can I remove from comp.?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Auntie Tam

Auntie Tam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:49 AM

Hello,
I am new here, and in desperate need of help please!!
Im running windows 98 ( i think or windows me)on a gateway computer.that is 10 yrs old now. it doesnt have a printer on it, its a pretty basic computer and i want to clean up as much space as i can on it. i do not have the startup disks so i have to remove things manually. im pretty computer illiterate and i dont know what's safe to remove.

My Add/Remove programs in the control panel lists the following:

56K PCI Voice Modem SF-1156IV R9A
Adobe Acrobat and Reader 6.0.6 Update
Adobe Flash Player Active X
AVG 7.5
CCleaner
Gateway Wallpaper
Intel Security Driver
Intel@810 Chipset Graphic Driver End User Diagnostics Software
Internet Explorer Q891781
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 22
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
Microsoft Interactive CD Sampler
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6SP1 and Internet Tools
Outlook Express Q887797
WSEX Poker 4.0.0

I basicly use my comp for yahoo mail,world series poker exchange,ebay,facebook,my space,google blog, and search the internet when i need info. for things.Can you please tell me
. What can i remove to clean up space but still have the computer functional?
Thank you so much for helping me..
caio Auntie Tam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

I would look into unused programs rather than Windows components, instead select installed programs see what you may not be using. If you have a few items that you can live without remove them, I would leave the Windows stuff alone.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

Welcome to BC Auntie Tam.

My Add/Remove programs in the control panel lists the following:

56K PCI Voice Modem SF-1156IV R9A
Adobe Acrobat and Reader 6.0.6 Update
Adobe Flash Player Active X
AVG 7.5
CCleaner
Gateway Wallpaper
Intel Security Driver
Intel@810 Chipset Graphic Driver End User Diagnostics Software
Internet Explorer Q891781
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 22
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
Microsoft Interactive CD Sampler
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6SP1 and Internet Tools
Outlook Express Q887797
WSEX Poker 4.0.0

If you don't know which Windows you are using what does it say on the left hand side when you click on the Start button? You can also right-click on My Computer and select Properties and that will show your basic system spec, Windows version, processor and memory available.

That list doesn't seam too bad. How much hard drive size and space do you have? Open My Computer and right-click on you main drive C: and select properties. That will tell you the capacity and how much free space you have. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

Welcome to the forum Auntie Tam!
You will find a lot of knowledgeable people and good help out here.
A lot of people wont support 98 anymore, but we do!

I agree with Keithuk about needing to know how much hard drive space is used.

Not much that can actually be removed except maybe the Gateway wallpaper, the interactive cd sampler and the poker site. That entry in particular bothers me.

You also have an extremely old version of AVG that probably isnt functional anymore.
We can address that later.

I would download and install SuperAntiSpyware 4.24 from url="http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/5052/"]here[/url]
Version 4.24 is the hast one that works with 98. Install it and scan the system for spyware. Do the complete scan.
It could take an hour or so to run. Remove everything that it finds.

Then hold down ctrl - alt - del all three at the same time to bring up the task list.
List everything that is there.

Let us know about the hard drive space
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Auntie Tam

Auntie Tam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:37 PM

Hello ,
First I want to thank you all for the help with my comp, so sweet of you. O.k. I located the properties thingy of how much space and such and what kind of compter this actually is, here it is...

system- Microsoft Windows Me
Manufactoroer- Gateway Genuinel Intel® Celeron™ Proscessor
127.0 MB Ram

on the tab thingy.. it reads>>performance 89% free
Free Space on some thing that looks like a pie thingy :0 reads > 74.5 GB

and now I'm gonna try and put that hippo file thing on now... but I tried to install something called java?, and still it won't let me play games :thumbsup: well hopefully this will work, I'll let ya know what happens,Again I'd like to thank you all for your wonderful help.. Hugs to all of you :flowers:
thanks much,
caio auntie Tam

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

I located the properties thingy of how much space and such and what kind of compter this actually is, here it is...

system- Microsoft Windows Me
Manufactoroer- Gateway Genuinel Intel® Celeron™ Proscessor
127.0 MB Ram

on the tab thingy.. it reads>>performance 89% free
Free Space on some thing that looks like a pie thingy :0 reads > 74.5 GB

Ok so your running WinME then. If its showing 74.5 GB free space then is it a 80 GB drive?

I wouldn't bother trying to clean up any space I would be bothered about what apps are running when you don't actually need them. I would suggest installing a very good app but I'm not allowed to talk about that on here.

As Eyesee suggests I would remove AVG, he says it old but the older version but AVG Free Edition 7.5.524 is the last version for use on Win9x/ME. I would download Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1368 thats the last version that runs on Win9x/ME. I have that on my WinME computer and it works great.

Now as for things running in the background start your computer up and when you can only see your desktop do a Ctrl+Alt+Del and write down everything listed in Task Manager. Because you have so little memory 128Kb you need to save as much as you can. Unless you fancy buying more RAM. If you Run: msconfig and click on the startup tab you will see a list of apps that run when Windows starts up. You can remove the ticks from items and see if things are quicker, you can put them back after it restarts. The only thing you need running on Win9x/ME is Explorer and that doesn't mean that Windows Explorer is running, and Systray thats the section by the clock. If you look at the Systray you will see items that are running in the backgound. Its just a matter of fine tuning your system. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

If you are not up to a new computer which you may not need, look into installing the recommend maximum ram for you system. It is a very worthwhile investment, the performance gains will amaze you your current ram is inadequate to say the least. You can Google upgrading your our system, most all ram manufacturers have a fill in chart that will tell you what you can use. If $$ are tight you can look on Ebay for a deal, make sure you write the specifications down not all ram is compatible.

Phil

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:35 AM

Careful about the AVG some of the newer versions do not work, only some earlier versions will work. Put a post in the anti virus section to see what will in fact work with 98, I have seen but not noted ones that still do the job for 98.

Phil

#9 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:25 AM

What is the problem that you are trying to solve? Having 74G free on your hard drive may not be an issue. Are you getting error messages or are there programs you are trying to install/run but can't? 128M RAM isn't much but was pretty typical for a Win ME machine. I'm guessing you are trying to run more modern software and your hardware just isn't up to the job.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users