Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake RIAA Threat Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 volcomsocom

volcomsocom

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:22 PM

After downloading and extracting a .rar file, I tried to open one of the files. Upon clicking it (an image) Mmy computer froze up, and 2 dialog boxes popped up. One said that "svchost.exe has stopped working"; I don't remember what the other one said. My computer then completely shut down. I turned the power back on, and the usual black screen telling me that Windows did not shut down properly came up. I clicked the option to start Windows normally. After it passed the loading screen, a red background with police tape scattered about it came up. In the foreground was an image with the logos of "important" organizations (RIAA, MPAA, etc.). A pop-up came up telling me that "copyrighted material" had been found on my computer. The pop up gave me two options: to 1) accept the lawsuit, or 2) settle it by other means. It also said that I would be receiving a subpoena within a week.

Long story short, I fixed the problem and got rid of whatever it was that was causing this problem. Just to be 100% sure, though, this was just a farce, right? I'm not going to be woken up to the police breaking down my door, am I? I'm almost positive I know the answer to this already, but it's better to be certain. :thumbsup:

EDIT: This site (http://www.pcthreat.com/parasitebyid-9269en.html) describes my situation exactly.

Edited by volcomsocom, 01 May 2010 - 10:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thoughtninja

thoughtninja

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:32 AM

It's a scam. Treat it as any other spy or malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users