Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSN Messenger trying to run twice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave12434

Dave12434

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 27 September 2005 - 01:26 PM

I use MSN Explorer for internet. When i log on MSN Messenger logs on too. After about half an hour, i get 2 messenger icons in the tray, one has a red x on it. The other one won't work either and i get a message about it having to close. Neither of them close, so i have to close all msn applications and restart them.

Also my email is really slow at downloading and my computer takes forever to start. Any ideas??
Thanks for the help

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 02:32 PM

Just a guess, you use Qwest as your IP. If so and you have the MSN premium, as I do,
I know exactly what you are going through.

My advice to you is, Get Firefox, Opera, or even plain old Internet Explorer. I think the first day I used MSN Explorer it got Hijacked. It sits in my quick launch tab collecting dust now.

Anyway, I recall my problems with Messenger starting after I added an additional Email account. Like I said I rarely even glance at MSN Exp. anymore but your post intrigues me so maybe it's time to investigate.

To tell you the truth, I opened it up a few days ago, and it took five minutes to load the Mail Page.

I will post back today with some results.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:37 PM

sounds like you have msn messenger and windows messenger both running. there are several ways you can get rid of this, the easiest way of course is to go to >c:program files and "rename" (right click>rename) your messenger (not msn messenger) folder to another name, ex:messenger1. you will have to close the messenger service or you will get an error when you try to rename the folder. to exit the program...right click on the toolbar>task manager>processes, now anything that says messenger, right click on it and select end task. now rename your messenger folder.

another "easy way" is to click on ....start>run then type in msconfig . here you gotta be a bit alert to what you are doing, but dont worry (wha ha ha)(jj). now when the screen pops up, select "startup" from the tabs up top. here, you are going to merely disable the messenger program from starting when you log into windows, this does not remove the program. so...find messenger, click on the box on the left of it, and remove the checkmark. now, click apply towards the bottom, then ok. it will prompt you to reboot, do so now. when your computer logs into windows the next time, it will give you a message saying you have changed the system startup configuration blah blah blah, so just put a check (with your mouse) in the box to the bottom left , "do not show this message again", it wont, and even better, your windows messenger will not be loaded on startup!

hope this helps
Google...Google.....browse..read

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 05:35 PM

I tweaked around with MSN Explorer for awhile, to no avail. I am thinking that when I installed SP2, something didn't jive with MSN Expl,but am not totally sure.

I copped out, uninstalled it, then reinstalled it. So far so good. Make sure to create a restore point if you try this. And save any important data to a separate folder, it never hurts to be a little cautious.

By the way, what OS are you using, and are you keeping up on your updates?

Are you using an Anti-Virus, Firewall, Spyware/Malware Apps. , and if so which ones?

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users