Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

I've just loaded Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 on a refurb Acer Aspire One AOD-250 netbook. It's all Linux, no Windows. I installed on a brand new 120 GB hard disk.

My problem is that I can't connect to our home's wireless router. The netbook is picking up our network, as well as a couple from our neighbors, but I can't get recognized.

According to the wireless router, it's looking for 64-bit WEP key (64/40 WEP Hex Key).

The Ubuntu Netbook's setup window offers these choices:

WEP 40/128-bit Key
WEP 128-bit Passphrase
LEAP
Dynamic WEP (802.1x)

Entering the key doesn't work for any of those options.

Does anyone know of a way to add the 64/40 option?

Thanks!

EDIT: I don't know if it's significant, but the router was supplied by Verizon for it's FiOS service.

Edited by Capn Easy, 01 May 2010 - 07:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:14 PM

Well the only thing I can tell you is that this is not a very well known problem and is posted with/on the Ubuntu forums and/ which I watch so if anyone answers that post I will be sure to pass it on to you but I don't know of any solution another member might but I just wanted to tell you what I found. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

Thanks, Computerxpds. If the post you're looking at is in the Absolute Beginners section of the Ubuntu Forums, that's probably me.

A Google search picked up a few complaints, but no clear answers. If I do find one myself I'll at least post it here just to be complete.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:42 AM

Have you tried changing to a different security type on your router? most routers have the option to change between WEP an WEP2, etc. I would check and see if thats the issue, Ubuntu just may not recognize that key. Or perhaps try a different variant of linux, OpenSuSe comes with more tools and code then ubuntu, it may work there, if your willing to try a slightly more complicated variant of linux.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:21 AM

One of the issues I found through my Google search suggested doing some admin on the router. Problem is, the primary reason for the router is to support my wife's computer -- she works at home and must have her computer and the router functioning properly. She doesn't like the idea of me touching it.

I'm not tied to Ubuntu -- it just seemed to have everything I was looking for. I don't mind a more complicated Linux -- I used to use Unix Sys V R1 through R3 back in the 80s -- but I'd like to stick with this for a little while. It seems like it should work -- the Aspire One is a pretty common netbook and Verizon FiOS is a pretty common ISP -- somebody must have solved this already. (Says Pollyanna!) :thumbsup:

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:37 AM

Just for the heck of it I installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04.

No luck.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:10 PM

well, changing the security to a format that ubuntu recognizes will most likely be the only solution I see, unless one of the more advanced linux users on here knows something else. It shouldnt harm the router, you just got to make sure you find a security method that both ubuntu and your wifes computer recognizes, shouldnt hurt the router at all.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:56 PM

This thread may help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=974272
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#9 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:30 AM

Thanks very much, MadDawg! That looks very promising, but I'm disappointed that this problem may have been known for so long and left unfixed.

I posted for further info on this at the Ubuntu forum, but I'll ask it here, too: since I can't get onto the internet with the netbook, is there any way to download WICD to a Windows PC, burn it to a CD or put it on a flash drive, and install it onto the netbook from there?

I have the luxury of not needing the netbook to be productive for a little while, so I can always try something and then reinstall the OS if it goes wrong.

If this turns out not to work then I guess I might have to try your suggestion, the_patriot09.

Thanks again.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:36 AM

you could but maddawgs suggestion looks very promising. while I enjoy linux i am far from a expert. as far as transferring files its easy, just download it to USB drive like any other file and then hook it up to ur linux box and open the file it should install automatically. if not, when it asks you what program to use choose the ubuntu installer.

picard5.jpg

#11 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:09 AM

I'm pursuing this through the Ubuntu forum, but I'll post my progress here, just in case anyone has anything to add.

I was able to connect to the router today with a cable and download updates, etc. I also downloaded WICD.

I used the Synaptic Package Manager to completely remove Network Manager, etc., and installed WICD. I was able to start WICD and tried to establish the wireless connection. It reported that it successfully passed several steps, but got stuck on trying to find the IP. I opened the properties for the wireless network and entered the IP.

On the next try it looks like WICD got the Netmask and Gateway on its own, but now it's stuck on the next step.

The error message is:

Connection Failed: Could not contact the wireless access point.

And that's where I am now. I've made some progress, but I'm not there yet.

#12 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:37 PM

Bottom line -- the wireless is now working, but I have no idea why. I played around with a few distros in earnest last week, and the wireless began working with Mandriva. After a few days I switched to Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04, updated via cable, unplugged the cable, and the wireless was there. It's been working ever since.

On the plus side, I used enough different distros to get a good feel for what's out there. I'm running Xubuntu right now (wireless is working fine) but I may change my mind again. Who knows.

#13 nkfro

nkfro

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

I loaded Chromium OS by hexxeh (see link below) to a USB flashdrive and had the same problem. hexxehs published solution was to connect via Ethernet cable - as you did - and the problem takes care of itself. To me, that means that the wireless driver you needed is proprietary but has been provided by the device manufacturer with no modifications allowed and will not be supported by the device manufacturer. In my case, it was a Broadcom wireless G card in an Acer netbook.

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

Edited by nkfro, 21 June 2010 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users