Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire X1301 ethernet controller driver

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Darkknight2k3

Darkknight2k3

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:58 PM

It came with windows 7 but i had to downgrade to XP cause i need it for software i run. when i downgraded i lost my ethernet controller driver and a few other important drivers. Acer and Frys says I'm SOL cause it "was meant to work with windows 7". I already wiped it though and it didn't come with reinstall discs or driver discs and i have xp running with no drivers. Please help. thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 coffeenbeer

coffeenbeer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

Hello,

I am soon to be in the same boat that is if I can get XP to even load! I had to turn a setting in the bios under sata to ide to get xp to start loading without blue screening. But it gets to about 30 minutes left and just hangs there and a light blue screen. What version of xp are you using? is it 64 bit? I tried regular home and pro to no avail(32 bit) But in regards to helping you, Knoppix or UBCD may tell you what card it is. I have used knoppix before to do this, when it starts booting up it starts autodetecting stuff and you can write it down/look it up online. Did you have any initial problems loading XP? it's nice how it says it's supported and then you go to Acers support site and there is not a single driver for XP!

GL to the both of us...

#3 Darkknight2k3

Darkknight2k3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:15 PM

i also had to switch the sata in bios to get past the blue screen and install. it's just windows xp pro and 32 bit. i didn't have any problems when i installed xp it all went fine but then i go to device manager and ethernet controller and a few other drivers are missing. i know i don't get acer not supporting XP i guess fry's offers a roll back to xp if you pay more but when i called frys they say it's made for windows 7 and basically tell me to pound sand. thanks for the suggestion of knoppix, i have a copy right here actually i didn't even think of it. i'll check it out thanks. i hope you get it working too. all i did was go to sata opperation and change it and then it loaded up to install windows. i didn't delete all the partitions though, did you? i left the one labeled system reserved and another i forget what it's called and i deleted the main partition. maybe that's why? i can't think of any other differences between our processes to install. i've tried installing all kinds of drivers from realtek and broadcom all different versions. i just wish frys or acer could tell me what nic i have or something. i opened up the case and i can't read anything it's a small form case so everything is micro. or maybe i just don't know where to look. best wishes to you brother.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

Have you tried the drivers for windows 7 with xp? also do windows update and do a custom one and search around windows update to see if they are in there. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 Darkknight2k3

Darkknight2k3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:21 PM

yeah i've tried but the files in the folder are a .dll, a security catalog, a system file and a dat file. none of which i can use to install and i click on the ethernet controller and update driver and search in this folder and it doesn't detect any driver in it. i tried going to windows update but i don't see how i can custom search for a computer other than the pc connected to the site. the problem is i can't connect this machine to the internet. maybe i'm missing something though that sounded promising so thanks

#6 Darkknight2k3

Darkknight2k3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:47 PM

i found windows 7 drivers and tried installing from the setup and it says it isn't supported on this operating system

#7 coffeenbeer

coffeenbeer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

Yeah I did blow away the partitions but it seems it wouldn't matter. I tried 3 different disks but they were burned. Granted I never check MD5s I do try to burn O.S's at a slow speed. Basically I will try a few more tomorrow and let ya know if I get any farther. This computer is for a friend. Was supposed to be a easy one. lol. I actually have a aspire 1600 that has the same problem with regards to the nic. I got xp on it by changing the sata to ide, then loaded windows and got all drivers from acers site. Guess what important one is not on their site... The network driver. Cool little machines, but supports not looking too good atm.

Like the X1301 has no XP drivers on acers support site. It has the mark to say that XP is supported though. The X1300 has Xp drivers. Theirs 2 labeled strangely modem. Maybe one of them is the right driver.

Yeah these Integrated boards are seeming impossible to read anything useful on the board. Maybe in the bios somewhere it tells you a nic model. Well I give up for the night. Well keep you posted if I can make any headway.

#8 Darkknight2k3

Darkknight2k3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:42 PM

Yeah this is actually for a friend of mine too. They own a nutrition store and are switching POS software and the new software needs xp so I said sure I'll downgrade it. I didn't think it'd be so tough downgrading a 2 month old pc to xp. Yeah windows 7 is the future or whatever but some people need xp. Cool tiny machine but acer kinda sucks on the backwards comparability and support. I thought I could at least type in my service code and get some details on my machine in a Dell-esk way but nope it doesn't tell me nada.

I've been on this all day I'm gonna go home and try again tomorrow. I'm gonna try to call acer Monday on the warranty and see if I can get some form of support for this. A disc or something. Even a windows 7 reinstall and I'll go virtual xp. Or maybe we will stumble upon the answer tomorrow. Cheers brother

#9 coffeenbeer

coffeenbeer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

Well I put 7 back on it. He's gonna try to return it but I know what's probably gonna happen. They will refer to acer support which so far is not going well. They haven't answered my questions on my own machine. Got too many other computers to fix atm. It's getting hard to remember when I used to like computers... Any luck on on your end?

#10 sturjl

sturjl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

The network controller is an Nvidia nForce 10/100/1000.
Go to Nvidia's drivers website & choose the nForce 9 Series 980a SLI.

Here's the link -
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/nforce_winxp_15.45_uk.html

It is a package of drivers which also appears to contain the display driver as well as others. I think the only one not covered by this package is the audio controller. Off to search for that now...!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users