Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Damage

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

Alright, so It has come to my attention (through an instantaneous crash of every application with memory reference errors) that my hard drive is severely damaged.

I no longer have doubts on why my computer has been acting up recently, but here's the list of issues:

1. RAW data type: holds up AUTOCHK preventing defrag from running

2. BSoD's. Sometimes randomly, usually upon startup or shutdown.

3. Monitor will not turn on upon restart; takes 10-15 tries, which most likely damage the HDD more.

4. random Application crashes/errors. ITunes no longer has registry entries for CD burning, skype will sometimes give I/O errors. games will crash without warning.

5. Complete system failure. Every program crashes with a 0x00000004 memory reference error, opening another application gives a corrupt DLL error, reboot fixes problem after 10-15 reboots to get my monitor back on.

6. Overall system slowdown. I got the computer 3 years ago and it is significantly slower than when we got it. It can take up to a full minute to oopen a folder. Startups take up to 5 minutes.

What I can/cannot do:

1. I absolutely cannot risk data loss. This is a family computer and my dad would kill me if he lost anything.

2. along with the above statement, reformatting is out of the question.

3. Partioning: I can partition my drive if I am talked through it. I've never actually done it before so step-by-step instructions would be necessary. Partitioning would allow data loss risk assuming I am only losing data on one partition.

4. New Hard drive: possible. yes. convincing my dad it's a good idea. highly doubtful. I may be able to do it if I have power to run 2 hard drives at once, but I don't think I do.

My question is: what's the best way to approach this problem?

If you need any other information, just ask.

Edited by sausage, 01 May 2010 - 04:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

We need system specs. also how much ram do you have and how many stick(s) of ram do you have?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

I would back this system up asap while you still can!
Once the hard drive fails you will lose everything.

Is this a laptop or tower?

Have you checked it for viruses/nalware yet?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:55 PM

System model and brand ? What is your hard disk model ?

#5 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:35 AM

We need system specs. also how much ram do you have and how many stick(s) of ram do you have?

2 gig, DDR2, 2 sticks.
2.4GHz dual core processor
NVidia GeForce 7900
Sound Blaster X-Fi

Is this a laptop or tower?

Have you checked it for viruses/nalware yet?

Tower.
Multiple Times.

System model and brand ? What is your hard disk model ?

Dell XPS 410 with a few changes. Unknown hard disk model.

EDIT: Oh, and about the backing up. I would if I could but I have nothing to back it up to. plus I think it just died completely. I came home a few hours ago and it wouldn't recognize my dad's running watch (the computer pulls GPS data from it) and it just had a recurring "USB device not recognized" so I fooled around a bit, played fable for a little while, it ran fine for about 2 hours, then saving began to slow down significantly so I quit the game and watched a movie, I came back to the computer and it was off, and it will not turn the monitor back on. at all.

it leads me to believe my video card is also damaged along with the hard drive, but I have no idea how it would be damaged. The hard drive i've known to be damaged for quite some time as the RAW filesystem has kept me from defragging for about a year and a half, so that's what i'm still going to point the finger at.

REDIT: so after some rummaging inside the tower, along with a lot of compressed air spraying, I got about a metric ton of gunk from my computer and it turned on, thank god.

I really need to look at a new GPU and HDD, but they have to be cheap and they have to fit my PSU. well now, my PSU could be the problem. 150 watts?! i'm baffled on how im running anything on 150 watts. my mom's computer barely runs on 500 watts let alone 150. I've got adrenaline in me, i'll do some looking around and post any more info I find on my issue/PSU output.

REREDIT: well, my computer lasted about 3 minutes before losing all USB recognition. this is getting very freaky, my dad is going to kill me if I don't get it working by tomorrow.

it quickly turned back on, no 15 reboots for it to turn on, but it's giving a reverberating whirring, like a broken alarm kind of, if you get my drift.

anyways, my PSU is actually 375 watts. is a Dell Model N375P-00. For some reason it says 150W on the side of the PSU itself

power to the video looks like a single 6-pin PCI-E and power to the HDD looks like a SATA cable with some unknown blue cable coming out of it. Pulling HDD out now to get model and other info.

HDD is a seagate barracuda 7200.9 http://techreport.com/articles.x/9147/1

alright, i've been up for 21 hours straight, and the last 4 have been the most frightening of my life, so, i'm gonna call it a night. if you need any more information, I might wake up tomorrow, but expect a better response on monday.

I guess all that's left is isolation: what is actually casuing all the problems, loose wiring, bad HDD, bad video card, bad processor (maybe?) or all of the above. Then once isolated I can work on gathering money for new components without the knowledge of my parents. it's much easier to replace a video without my parents knowing than it is to convince them that we need a new one. Hard drive might be harder.

Edited by sausage, 02 May 2010 - 06:11 AM.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

There was your problem the classic overheating signs computer shuts off with no warning, no error messages and is full of dust on the inside. :thumbsup: You should be OK for now just run it for a while to see if it happens again. :flowers:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

what exactly is overheating? my CPU temp never goes above 31 and my GPU idles at 55 (which I know is high but I cant really do anything about it.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

CPU is ok but the GPU is a little on the high side. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

#9 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

now, a completely off-topic question. if I wanted to upgrade to a, say, ATI 5700 (I think that's right. the one with DX11) what else do I need to change

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

which one this one--> http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/gra...0-overview.aspx OR this one--> http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/gra...0-overview.aspx ? well it really does not matter which one to tel you that you will need a more powerful PSU. A 450-500 watt or greater PSU is needed.

Edited by computerxpds, 02 May 2010 - 01:16 PM.

sigcomp.png 

#11 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

the 5770 is what I was thinking. so, I need a new PSU, is there any motherboard compatibility issues I need to worry about?

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:43 PM

Does the mobo have an x16 Pci express graphics slot on it?
sigcomp.png 

#13 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:45 PM

not sure. how exactly do I check that?

#14 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:48 PM

You said that you cannot risk data loss. But you are right now with a hd that may be failing.
Tackle the most important problem first.
Go get a USB jump drive and back this thing up while you still can

Worry about upgrading the video card later.
That is not nearly as important as losing all your Dad's data

Also, assuming that you do have to replace the hard drive, make sure that you have all the cd's that you need to reinstall everything.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#15 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

Also, assuming that you do have to replace the hard drive, make sure that you have all the cd's that you need to reinstall everything.

Already done, that was the first thing I did.

Go get a USB jump drive and back this thing up while you still can

alright, i'll see what I can do, can't really get a store though, I don't have a liscence yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users