Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After format.. 16 kb used?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 goomba2

goomba2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

Hi! I have been re-formatting my computer vigorously as a result of obtaining a lot of viruses. Currently, I am in the process re-formatting my external hard drive. Whenever I format it to a file system, in this case it's NTFS, I right click -> properties, and it tells me that 16 kb has already been used. Is this normal?
I know that viruses can be that small, so it's worrying me quite a bit. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

are you referring to it saying it is that full or is the original size smaller than the advertised size?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 goomba2

goomba2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:32 PM

are you referring to it saying it is that full or is the original size smaller than the advertised size?

I don't think so. I'm saying that whenever I do a fresh format of the drive, it says that out of the 300 gb (320 gb advertised) 16 kb is used; even when I haven't put anything at all yet on the drive.

#4 nkfro

nkfro

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

I don't think so. I'm saying that whenever I do a fresh format of the drive, it says that out of the 300 gb (320 gb advertised) 16 kb is used; even when I haven't put anything at all yet on the drive.

Could be just be bad or inaccesable sectors on the hard drive. It's not unusual when dealing with aggressive malware infections.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:38 PM

Just for future reference try not to use quotes all the time in replies. :thumbsup: Other wise you guys are doing great. You may be right nkfro. :huh:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:42 AM

This is a normal characteristic of NTFS.

In NTFS, every file is listed in the Master File Table (MFT) which itself is stored within the NTFS volume. Since the MFT has to know about itself, it reserves the first 16 MFT records for itself. This just about equals 16KB. So even on a freshly formatted NTFS volume, 16KB will be in use.

#7 goomba2

goomba2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:06 PM

Thank you nkfro, computerxpds, and Andrew! I really appreciate it.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

You are very welcome. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users