Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to the forum

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Christa W

Christa W

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

Hello! I haven't been on a computer forum in ages but this one got my attention while seeking a bit of information on Vista. The google link actually had nothing to do with what I was looking for, but I won't complain because I'm glad I found this site. (I was looking for boot time benchmark info, in case you were wondering.)

I've used Win 3.1 on up to Vista. The only experience I had with 7 was a nightmare, but not because of Windows itself. A friend of mine had a 3-year-old Dell Vista laptop, got herself infected, and an overzealous support person talked her into buying 7, that it would "fix all of her problems". Except her system was not 7-compatible. By the time I was called onto the scene, she had a Windows 7 machine with a Windows Experience Index score of 1. That was the weekend I learned how to make Dell work for me. They have a system, I have learned it, and I also learned the true meaning of patience. Bonus: made a few "friends" at Dell in the process.

My primary toy now is a brand new Dell Inspiron 11z with Vista Home Basic. Fun little machine. Not a netbook, yet not a laptop. I adore it. I've had it a week. Win 7 was an option, but I chose not to upgrade. It's an interesting configuration in a very small package. Not powerful enough for a primary machine, but more than adequate for what I use it for.

For me, parting with an old computer is nigh impossible, evidenced by the fact that I've had 9 total and still have 6 now.My others include a Toshiba Satellite (Vista Home Prem) (mostly for work), a Compaq (XP), and an older Inspiron (XP), all laptops. My last desktop was a Dell Dimension purchased in 2001. I still have it, and when I hook it up it still works. Somewhere in a box (I moved recently) is an IBM Thinkpad, purchased in 1997, that still worked last time I plugged it in.

I guess my "specialty" is straightening out and optimizing the computers of inexperienced users. I'm convinced that most browser toolbars are the work of the devil. It's frustrating because I give people the tools to prevent this and they still can't stop themselves from clicking "yes". I've only had a couple of infections on my machines ever, so it's not impossible to keep a system clean. A few years ago I momentarily got hijacked by malware, and back in January my Toshiba got hit with a nasty rootkit infection of the fake antivirus variety. Only took an hour to repair the damage but it was fascinating to watch it in action. I'm still not 100% sure how it got in, guess it was one step ahead of the definition updates.

Well, this was way too long of an introduction, so I'll wrap it up. Hopefully I'll be able to help someone out and learn a lot myself.

Christa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:16 PM

Hi and :thumbsup: to Bleepingcomputer.com.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.

We as members try to make this site as useful and helpful as possible to help everyone who is in need of computer help. :flowers: We are all volunteers dedicated to helping anyone and everyone who need help with their computers. :trumpet:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:28 AM

Many people like to muck up their computer will all sorts of toys, most of whom are not as useful as they appear at first glance.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Christa W

Christa W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

Thanks to both of you for the welcome!

Christa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users