Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which would you choose?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Reena

Reena

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

I am thinking about having a PC built for me.

Which of these would you choose, please, and why?

AMD Phenom IIX2 550 3.1 GHz 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 CPU (the "builder's" preference)

or

Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache CPU (my preference)

MSI HD 4670 1GB GDDR3 DVI HDMI HDCP Out PCI-E Graphics Card ("builder's preference)

or

ASUS HD 5770 Cu Core 1GB GDDR5 DVI VGA HDMI out PCI-E Graphics Card (my preference)

I look forward to reading your comments and my thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

What are you planing on doing with this machine? I think the AMD is good for a cpu and the Asus is good as a video card.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:30 PM

What motherboards?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

Both good CPUs though id go with AMD, im biased. Cheaper with comparible performance. video cards, I typically use Saphire ATI cards, but between those 2 I would say ASUS, I avoid MSI like the plague. Motherboards, anything made by Gigabyte or ASUS.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

The HD 5770 is much better then the HD 4670.

Also got DX 11.

#6 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:09 AM

Thank you so much for the replies. I know I can always rely on Bleeping Computer "shining knights" to come to the rescue. :thumbsup:

computerxpds/Dakota:

This will be my 4th PC and I use it mainly for everyday stuff: e-mail, research, some gaming. (Rome: Total War). I know I could manage with a less-powerful PC.

dpunisher:

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-ES3 AMD 770 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard (builder's choice)

Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L P55 Socket 1156 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard (mine)

the patriot9:

The builder prefers AMD. I suppose I am prejudiced because my present one is Intel.

starcraftmaster:

I really want the HD5770 and think I'll stick out for that one unless someone posts a scathing comment about it!

#7 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

What about AMD ?

#8 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

Ive recently been in the same dilema, or atleast similar.

I would choose AMD over just about any Intel Core of the same Generation.

The mobo he has suggested is a decent one, the card he suggested you should keep away from. as told previously. Go for in my opinion, his choice of Mobo, CPU and your choise of GPU. there is a "saying" that AMD and ATI cards go well together.... Since they are the same company.

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

Plus like stated above most AMD's are cheaper and are great for gaming. :thumbsup: The only reason I'm on Intel is because it was what I got for Christmas now you see my dilemma first thing I'm doing when I save enough is getting an AMD and a new mobo I have an asus p5n-d right now and it does not have enough PCI slots for me. (I still run old PCI card) :flowers: but other than that I have had it great with this mobo and Intel Pentium possessor and i even have played crysis with the appropriate overclock. I'm still looking around for a good heat sync. :trumpet:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#10 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:58 AM

Thank you,ALL, for helping me come to a decision.

Edited by Reena, 02 May 2010 - 11:00 AM.

#11 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:04 AM

You are very welcome :thumbsup: we were glad to help it's what we are here for. :flowers:
sigcomp.png 

#12 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:14 AM

Did you get a AMD ?
Just wondering :thumbsup:

#13 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

Yes, Starcraftmaster, and the ASUS graphics card.

All ordered!!

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hope it all works out for you :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#15 Reena

Reena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:27 AM

the patriot09: So do I. In the past I have gone for "reputable" brands, only to find them falling by the wayside shortly afterwards. This time I have the creator a few miles away and willing to talk computers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users