Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD and then pc wont start

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nixx

nixx

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

Hey guys.

I'm running on Vista SP2. I recently had a few BSODs. Each time that happened, I just started it on safe mode and did a system restore. But it gave me a BSOD just a few hours ago, now I can't seem to turn my computer on :thumbsup: The power indicator is on but the monitor says "no display". This probably means the pc didn't even start. The screen's just black and yes, the monitor is still connected to the computer. I can't run it on safe mode again because the pc doesn't even go that far.

I need help :flowers:

Thanks

EDIT: Moved from Vista forum to more appropriate Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 02 May 2010 - 09:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

Hi,

First I need your system specs such as:

1a. Is it a desktop or laptop?

1. video card model and manuf.

2. what is the computer is it custom built or is it oem such as HP, Dell...
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

hey computerxpds, thanks for the reply.

It's an almost 2yo computer. It's an Acer desktop, M5641. The videocard's an NVIDIA geforce 9300

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

If you're not even getting a BIOS screen, then it's hardware related for sure. I'll have your topic moved to the Internal Hardware sub-forum. :thumbsup:

computerxpds, keep going with your advice. The topic will be moved sometime, but you can keep going here anyway.

I'd say you're going to have to start stripping out hardware components until you find the faulty one....but I don't know which ones to tell you, as I'm not a hardware expert....so don't start snatching things out just yet until we get some hardware junkies in here with some troubleshooting advice.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:43 PM

If you are not getting any feed from the video card then I would have to say that the video card has stopped working.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

If you are not getting any feed from the video card then I would have to say that the video card has stopped working.

Those were my thoughts, as well....but besides saying "Take out the video card", I don't have any other advice/knowledge to share.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:40 AM

computerxpds, keyboardNinja

Come to think of it, I think the BSODs started when Windows found updates for my hardware, I just installed them; updates for the video card were there :/
By the way, I probably don't have a virus, I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware.

Anyway, I'm not a hardware expert myself, well let's just say I'm not a computer expert, I'm purely a user. If I take out the video card, wouldn't that mean the monitor won't work at all? Does that mean I've to plug in a video card first?

#8 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:42 AM

Oh yeah, if it's the video card, how come I don't hear the sound Vista makes when it starts up? Even if the computer asks me how to start the pc (safe mode, normally, etc), isn't it supposed to just start normally since there's a countdown for selecting how to start it?

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:53 AM

No it wont start at all if the card is bad and or missing. It is more or less a bad video card because updates don't do this in most cases.

Edited by computerxpds, 02 May 2010 - 06:53 AM.

sigcomp.png 

#10 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:14 AM

I see. I brought it to a computer shop a while ago and found out that the motherboard's pretty much dead. When the technician looked at the motherboard, there was this spot there which looks darker than the rest of the pcb. He said that that's what normally happens with branded pc motherboards. Well, that sucks. Also, he said that I won't be able to run the pc again just by replacing the motherboard since my OS is OEM and the parts are registered or something, I didn't really understand much of what he was talking about. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users