Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Massive malware attack..is my Windows damaged?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mtry

mtry

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:28 PM

I've been posting for ages now trying to sort out a malware trojan type thing http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1735654

I've already paid a professional to fix it, but they didn't. All they did was a system restore..where vundo was hiding out!

Now I can't launch any exe properly and my lightroom (very important as I'm a photographer) won't export at all. I get

Win32 API error -2147221003 ("Application not found") when calling ShellExecuteExW from AgWorkspace.shellExecute

now even if I clean my computer is my computer still buggered? I am concerned my windows has been damaged. Is there any point in waiting about for help?
I don't have a windows disc as I gave in my old pc when I bought this one. They said they can transfer the licence or something.
So I was never given a disc.
Needless to say I am saving up for a mac...I've been so so careful and keep everything updated, don't download anything on here (I use a knackered old laptop for that).
I hate wasting weeks on cleaning up malware attacks. If I ever got my hands on the people that make it..

tia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

Because you have this log posted,
you should NOT make further changes to your computer
(install/uninstall programs,
use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to
ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the
malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Good luck with your log.

#3 mtry

mtry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

Thank you...don't worry I've done nothing since posting the log. I'm just wondering about windows. If it is broken then there's no point continuing to try and get rid of the viruses...dont'want to waste anybody's valuable time. We all very grateful for the help here!

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

While keeping Queen-Evie's post in the forefront of your thinking...

It's still possible your computer can be fixed without having to reformat or something. But it's also possible that you could spend a week in the log forum doing various fixes and still come up empty (this doesn't happen often).

My philosophy is that a clean install is the fastest and most effective way of ridding one's computer of malware.

It's your decision as to whether or not you want to wait for help in the log forum and hack your way through the viruses with guidance from an MRT member....or just spend a couple hours on the clean install....

Post back here (not in the log topic) letting us know what you decide to do.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 01 May 2010 - 04:00 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users