Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is PING.EXE?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 moon2

moon2

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

I just recently found a strange process called PING.EXE running in Task Manager and I have no idea what it is. I've had this computer for quite some time and I have never seen this process until yesterday.

I have tried looking it up and some sites say it IS malware/keylogger and others say it is safe. I am very confused and a little worried. This process cannot be killed in task manager..this is the error I get:

"The operation could not be completed. The operation is not valid for this process"

When right clicking this process in task manager, it is impossible to open its properties or the containing folder...nothing happens. The only way I found it was through search and it is located in system32.

I have scanned my system with Malwarebytes and everything came back clean. I have scanned with SUPERAntispyware and nothing showed up. ( However, on the SuperAntispyware website, it IS considered malware and should be removed - extremely confusing)

IF, in fact, this thing is benign and it has been on my PC since I purchased it, why is it just now showing up in my processes? What is this thing doing,what's it for?

There seems to be differing opinions on this process, which is quite unnerving for someone as myself who is just a casual user.

I would be so grateful if I could get some help with this.

Thank you in advance.

I originally posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313923/strange-things-found/ , but they sent me here because I am still not sure whether I need to be concerned or not.

Edited by moon2, 01 May 2010 - 02:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:03 PM

Hello,

Does this concern the same computer as this topic? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/312592/infected-with-vista-defender-proplease-help/

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users