Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Ooutlook Express 6

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Snare

Snare

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:48 AM

Hello and thank you in advance for your assistance. I have nothing but the highest praise for the help I have received here in the past!! :thumbsup: I hope this time I will fair as well.

Somehow I have managed to lose every single trace of Outlook Express 6 from my computer, at least the icons to get me there anyways. I use Mailwasher Pro fortunately, and when I run that program to screen my e-mail and delete spam, the program then automatically loads up Outlook Express 6 for me. I have all my address book, all my saved folders, etc. It functions as it should. But The program is "empty" in my Program Files folder, and the icon/shortcut is missing from my Control Panel, my desktop, my quicklaunch buttons, and program files from the startup page.

So my question is this: How can I create a new shortcut? I do not want to delete the folder I do have, nor do I want to re-install OE 6. It must be "somewhere" if I can still access all my folders within the OE 6 program... I have used Windows Explore and tried to "create shortcut" but am not given the option for some reason.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Thank you and have a great day!

Snare

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kaptain

Kaptain

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:30 PM

Have you tried doing "Search" from your "Start" menu? You might want to search for Outlook or something similar. If your Outlook folder is empty, looks like you'r in trouble and will have to reinstall it completely. You probably can do that by going to windows update and letting it scan your pc for updates. Perhaps it'll find that you'r missing Outlook Express and offer you to download/install it.

good luck

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 04:53 PM

Run chkdsk lately?

Louis

#4 Snare

Snare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I will attempt both after I get off work tonight and report back wht, if anything, I find.

Once again, thank you.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:11 PM

One thing to try first is go to start/programs/outlook Express where you will right click, select "create shortcut", and drag the shortcut you created to your desktop.

I believe that you can duplicate that procedure to put the OE shortcut wherever else you want it.

I just tried, and you can accomplish the same thing using start/search

Type Outlook Express in the search "for files and folders", and then right click on OE and choose create a shurtcut.

Edited by Enthusiast, 27 September 2005 - 10:14 PM.

#6 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 08:45 AM

Browse to c:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe. Right click the msimn.exe and select "send to" desktop and it will create a shortcut for you.

#7 Snare

Snare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 12:24 PM

Hmm..ok. I did a "chkdsk" and no errors/problems found. Thanks for that tip.

Next, Although I do have an OE in my program files, it is empty. And OE is neither in my start/programs files ... completely gone from there.

When I do a search for Outlook Express, I get several folders / extensions to select from, (including a link to this very forum thread! :thumbsup: ), but nothing that will actually "run" when I click on it, accept for my address book .exe file(s).

I tried to copy the search results to post here, but cannot or am unable to for some reason.

I am still able to use my Mailwasher Pro application to backdoor the OE program, which I always use first anyway as a spam filter. OE comes up just like it is supposed to ... runs perfectly fine. I have tried looking in all the tabs within that itself but see nothing to allow me to create a shortcut from it.

It must reside somewhere in my computer, if it still comes up. I'll try a more "vague" search, for maybe just "Outlook" and see if I get more hits.

Thanks again. I appreciate all ya'lls help.

#8 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:38 PM

Well if it works through Mailwasher then the executable is there, it is msimn.exe. Can you find this file? (msimn.exe)

#9 the2woots

the2woots

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:20 PM

Hi ... busy with work last day or so ... didn't see this post until just now. I will run a search for the "msimn.exe" file and see if I have any luck there.

I do appreciate everyone's help I have received.

This site is the BEST! :thumbsup:

Thanks again, and I will post the results later.

oops ... uh ... this IS Snare here, also, BTW!!

My alter-ego ... :flowers:

Edited by the2woots, 29 September 2005 - 08:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users