Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sighhhhh Never Ending problems.. -help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

Ah well, my cuz's pc i sold to them several months ago has taken a turn for the worst. a virus hit it, i reformatted. then the cd/dvd drive decided to lock up and steal a disk, with no unlock botton the only option was to dismantle it.

since it wasnt working anyway they asked me to buy them a new one, i went cheap as i could from the local store, but they stung me. 28.90 for a Sata DVD burner & Molex - Sata Power lead.

not the best price in the world nor the worst.

ii hooked it all up and inserted the windows disk to reformat, took a while but wasnt too long. booted fine. first boot took like 2-5mins i thought that was strange. then i disocer the new SH - S223 Samsung / Toshiba drive didnt like working in a windows enviroment. only works in DOS and pre-windows.

My instant reaction was a unsuitable sata driver or firmware. couldnt find a firmware update. Mobo drivers are up to date. btw is a

Gigabyte - GA-7vm400amf

Windows update had no help either.

I beleive windows has put a old driver onto it, its default one. but the drive hates it. and refuses to work. although this pc has never had a sata drive in it. nor a hdd sata. all IDE but the Sata was the cheaper option in this case.

Dont know where to go, it works fine out of windows but as soon as we boot into windows we get confronted with around 6mins boot time, non responsive drive.

Ah, i came here for some help please :thumbsup:

Currently installing SP3 incase that makes a ounce of difference with this cock up.

Currently its running a - Barracude 120gb hdd, Win XP home, 1GB ram, SH-S223 DiskDrive thats not working, Onboard sound and dedicated inno 3d geforce GPu. dont know exact spc of the GPU although its not the culprit.

Migh try booting into a linux enviroment see if the kernal puts a default driver on it that works.

Mhmm... any suggestions? obviously its a windows thing that i cant figuire out. the defualt driver is on and dated - 07/01/2001 Windows update cant find an update and the drive itself cant find any firmware update because the website fails at providing decent support. i downloaded the program, crashed several times. refuesed to work and just gives me a messgae of "This program scans each drive no matter the cd-rom" or some crap like that.

ALL help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

I have the same southbridge chipset

Southbridge : VIA 8237

It doesn't support sata optical drives

I am very suprised you got it to boot and load windows

Edited by DaChew, 01 May 2010 - 01:03 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 eastonch

eastonch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

Well it reformed Windows and reinstalled it fine. it works to boot cds from, just in the windows enviroment it doesnt work.

#4 eastonch

eastonch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

So whats the port of call?
Take the item back to store for a full refund and buy the IDE one? ...

Darn.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:32 PM

Your bios evidently supports the drive and the dos enviroment which may be emulating ide mode, try loading the sata driver if you haven't already.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...D=1748&ver=

It may still not burn dvd's or update firmware correctly tho.

Later versions of that southbridge had some limited support?????
Chewy

#6 eastonch

eastonch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

Will do, although i might just buy a cheap IDE one from the net - Ebuyer or something, im in the Uk you see; )

Thanks for your help Chewy'

#7 eastonch

eastonch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

Chewy, Btw, which download did you recomend?

The sata raid i doubt would work due to that being a HDD only one? Although i will try the chipset one and get back to you.

-
Hi Dachew, the problem is sorted. thanks for ALL the assistance you gave me.
I decided to take on last look at the bios before giving up hope. i foudn a SATA mode to IDE was there. so i swapped it to RAID. usually when i do this, as this is failsafe defaults. it prompts me every boot about the HDD' being a raid device.

Luckily it does not. the PC is working fine and the drive is working A-OK.
Thanks alot.

-Chris

Edited by eastonch, 02 May 2010 - 07:44 AM.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

Wrong side of the Atlantic, the geeks over there from our Imgburn forum reccomend this company a lot.

http://www.svp.co.uk/technology/components...sung-01013.html

If you still have any problems with the sata model and that older mobo I would consider returning the drive.

You did a good job of troubleshooting and explaining the mysteries, that's what's so challenging about this hardware field, it's too complicated.

:thumbsup:

I really wanted to get that model(223) myself when it came out, but noone ever got it to work with my mobo.

Edited by DaChew, 02 May 2010 - 10:01 AM.

Chewy

#9 eastonch

eastonch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

Hah. well i just noticed the one i have in this pc, my newer one, is the same i bought from the pc shop yesterday.. Cheap drives in a beast of a pc shouldnt happen!

nevermind!
Ive gotten it to work. not sure on your Mobo but try the bios. dont know if the bios sorted it though. i updated the Chipset then changed bios before plugging the drive back in.

Thanks for the help Chewy! +rep if i could rep ppl...

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users