Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can i / how do i /convert negatives to digital photo's

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dai

dai

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:26 PM

Hiall. is there a freeware prog', that can convert  old photo negatives to digital  photos on my 'puter please? Regars Dai :thumbsup: <-------- I like him

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

google covert negatives to digital photos

#3 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:33 AM

Well, a program won't be able to convert them, you're going to have to find a way to get them onto your computer somehow first.

Once you get them onto your computer, its relatively simple. Almost all photo editing programs can invert photos to negatives, including the GIMP ( http://www.gimp.org ), which is free. I think the biggest problem you're gonna have is getting them to your computer.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:01 AM

Some scanners have the ability to scan negatives.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

Dai,

As has been said, the first problem is getting them into your computer. There are a number of scanners which can scan slides and negative film - both colour and black and white. I use an Epsom 2480 myself, and it does a pretty good job on colour slides. I admit I haven't tried it with negatives, when I had a film camera I shot mostly slide film.

One tip - make sure the negatives are clean before you try copying them. That speck of dust that you can barely see, and didn't notice, looks like a football once it has been scanned at somethng like 3000dpi ! Believe me - the voice of experience !

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#6 joshuawhite

joshuawhite

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:44 AM

Take 'er to your local photo shop... walgreens does negs to cd for relatively around 2.99 ... staples might be able to do it and possibly at a better DPI.... otherwise you're going to have to buy a scanner that works with neg's to get decent results as previously stated.

#7 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

Wal~mart can do it for you in their photo centers also. My mother has a scanner that has a slot in it to place 35 millimeter negatives. You need hardware to do that, software won't do it for you.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#8 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

A good scanner does not have to cost you a fortune, and if you have many old negatives and slides to convert digitally, it may be worth your while to invest in the hardware.

I've had great luck with my Canon scanner (cost was under $100). I've used it for both negatives and slides (using originals that dated back from the late 1940's) and the results were superb.

As stated earlier, make sure the slides or negatives are clean. You can go to a photo store and inquire about brushes used to clean them off without harming the actual negative. This is imperative, since if you do scan in a high resolution, any imperfection will be dramatically increased.

You will need a photo editing software to assist you once you scan in the images, however. Do not rely on the photo software that comes with the scanner (if you buy one), as it is generally sub-par. It may take you a little bit to figure it all out, but once you do, it will be well worth your efforts. Good luck, and have fun with it.

#9 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

I've got two slide/negative scanners. Both came with software to convert negative images to positive images. I have an older PrimeFilm 3650U which only handles slides and film strips -- I like the way it handles slides better. I just got a very inexpensive Epson Perfection V300 Photo -- a flatbed with a film/slide insert, which also does a great job.

As I said, both came with proprietary software. The Epson also came with a free copy of Photoshop Elements, which will do what you want. Gimp is free and one of my favorite programs, and it will also do what you want.

No shortage of choices.

#10 stackerjack

stackerjack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:15 PM

You will certainly need a scanner, in order to get your pictures onto the computer.
I use an Epson Perfection, whic will only scan 3 negatives at one go.
The scanner has a light in the lid, this is vital, so that your negatives can be read by the scanner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users