Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regular Stop 0x0a errors

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 danthecancanman

danthecancanman

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

My fairly new netbook (3 months old) regularly reboots mid-use, typically every few hours (not in any obvious pattern, just on average). Usually a 1000000a Stop error is displayed, although I have seen others including 00000005, 1000007e & 1000007f.

I have minimal software installed - Microsoft Security Essentials, ZoneAlarm are about the only things I have installed, and I usually have Firefox portable running from a usb drive within an encrypted TrueCrypt volume. I have had a look in EventViewer, and along with the System Errors which correspond with the BSOD / reboots, there are fairly regular "Service Control Manager" errors which come in pairs and relate to ZoneAlarm - the first says

"Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the TrueVector Internet Monitor service to connect."

and the second, recorded at the same time, says

"The TrueVector Internet Monitor service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. "

I'm not sure if this is normal or completely unrelated - again, there seems to be no obvious correlation between the time of these errors and the BSODs, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

Any help that anyone can give on the possible source of this problem would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:43 AM

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 danthecancanman

danthecancanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:56 AM

Excellent - a fast reply AND portable software, you're my new favourite computer helper. :thumbsup:

I've attached the text file rather than copying & pasting into the worl's longest post, hope that's okay!

From my limited knowledge, based on the fact that the "caused by driver" column consistently mentions Fastfat.SYS, I'd guess that it is USB drive related? I just checked, and the USB drive itself is NTFS, and the encrypted volume (which shows up as a "virtual" drive) is FAT32.

Attached Files

• Attached File  BSOD.txt   53.13KB   8 downloads

#4 danthecancanman

danthecancanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:30 AM

Just had a look around and this seems to be a common problem on the TrueCrypt forums.

Thank you, computerxpds, for the excellent piece of software which has pointed me in the right direction and hopefully found a solution to this problem! :thumbsup:

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

Well I was going to say that it is the truecrypt volume that is causing the problem. So I don't know what to tell you on how to fix it but maybe another member might have an idea.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

Info re Fastfat.sys File

First thing I would do is verify file size and location for the legitimate file.

Once that is done...I would either do a repair install of XP or run sfc /scannow to replace the damaged/missing file in XP.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

#7 danthecancanman

danthecancanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:23 AM

Thanks, but nothing that drastic seems to be necessary, it looks like it's a common issue when running the PortableApps suite from a FAT32 volume in XP. I have simply created a new NTFS volume and have had no problems in 2 days since.

The only slightly puzzling thing is that I have never had any issues on my desktop, which also is XP.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:23 AM

Glad you solved it and thank you for posting what you did to solve it. :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 

#9 danthecancanman

danthecancanman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

No problem, if you lot can take the time to help me purely out of kindness, the least I can do is let you know the outcome and hopefully help anyone else with the same problem who finds this thread. I can also confirm that I still have had no crashes since changing the volume to NTFS. Thanks again for the help!

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

And again you are welcome. :flowers: :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users