Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too many fans?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:33 AM

My previous paranoia about cooling caused me to over-prepare. My system is louder than I would desire it to be. My case is the Gigabyte GZ-X5BPD-500.
For cooling, I presently have:

Front intake: Rosewill RFA-120-BL (120mm, 74.48 CFM, 29.28 dBA)
Side intake: Link Depot FAN-4LED-80BU (80mm, 29.5 CFM, 27.0 dBA)
Rear exhaust: COOLER MASTER R4-L2R-20AC-GP (120mm, 69CFM, 19 dBA)
VGA: VANTEC SP-FC70-BL (dual 70mm, 17.73-29.54 CFM, 25-36.64 dBA)

All my temperatures are in the 30s, except for my video card which has its own cooler anyway. On prime95, my processor never exceeds 50C.

I am thinking of replacing the front fan with the case stock fan and removing the side fan altogether, but I first wanted to see what people here thought.

Edited by RainbowSix, 01 May 2010 - 05:35 AM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:53 PM

i dont think u can ever have to much cooling...but i understand about the noise.....i would suggest either taking out fans or what i would do is get a fan controller

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...8-055-_-Product

or one like this one

#3 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

I very much agree with Blaze, you can never have too much cooling, especially if you overclock your rig. Judging by your specs in your sig, you do have a solid machine, but if you're not an overclocker, then the fans you have should be just fine, especially if it never goes higher than 50 in Prime95.

I have an Antec 1200, and I intentionally bought the extra fans for a total of 8. Yep, 8! One giant 200mm on top, 3 120mm in front, 2 120mm in back, 1 80mm on the side and another 80mm inside. See, though, I overclock my computer and need all the cooling I can get (my 2.4 Core 2 Duo is OC'ed to 3.4!). It's a bit noisy, yeah, but the games I play drown out the fans! :thumbsup:
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:49 AM

I agree there is no such thing as to many fans. For a price you can go somewhere like frozencpu.com and get some really ultra quite fans. I replaced all of the fans in my setup and the noise level dropped by about half.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 14 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

The number of fans is not so important...as the proper directional pathways.

Having fans competing against each other for proper airflow...is counterproductive.

As long as the airflow makes sense, it's user option on number.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users