Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I might be infected.....

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 11estrellas

11estrellas

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:34 AM

Hello, my computer has been acting a little weird. I have McAfee, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and SuperAntispy free edition installed on my computer. I would like to get help in performing an in dept cleaning. I have ran all three programs and each one of them have found something different. I have been reading a lot of posts from here but its seems like I am just jumping around and not doing it right. Could someone help me to do it step my step. Thank you.....

Edited by Budapest, 01 May 2010 - 05:28 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 11estrellas

11estrellas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

Hello, my computer has been acting a little weird. I have McAfee, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and SuperAntispy free edition installed on my computer. I would like to get help in performing an in dept cleaning. I have ran all three programs and each one of them have found something different. These are some of the things I found: HKCR\exe, Trojan. Fraudpak, Generic PUP.x!do. I have been reading a lot of posts from here but its seems like I am just jumping around and not doing it right. Could someone help me to do it step my step. Thank you.....

Edited by Orange Blossom, 01 May 2010 - 06:39 PM.
Merged topics. ~ OB

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

Have you ran malwarebytes and superantispyware?

If you have can you post the logs from those scans here, so that we can see just what kind of infections we are dealing with.

#4 11estrellas

11estrellas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

Thank you for responding. Can I just restore my computer to factory settings using a CD? Will this remove any virus, trojan, malware, backdoor? Please let me know.. Thank you.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

Unless your process includes reformatting first the reinstalling from the CD you would still have the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 11estrellas

11estrellas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

What do you mean by reformatting? My computer is an emachine and it comes with a CD. How do I reformat? Thank you.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:34 PM

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke

The best sources of Information on this are
Reformatting Windows XP
Michael Stevens Tech
Windows XP: Clean Install

Of course also feel free to ask anything on this in the XP forum. They'd be glad to help.

==============================

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.

Download Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.
Run it and then print out the results, they may be handy.

Since we don't know exactly which infections we're dealing with here, we should take some precautions before we attempt to move files from the infected machine. Run the following on your clean computer, and make sure you insert your flash drives at the prompt.
Download and Run FlashDisinfector

Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Reinstall Windows Vista

Note: Windows 7 Professional instructions recommend you DO NOT use a third-party software to format the drive.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 11estrellas

11estrellas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:56 PM

Thank you. I will try and do the reformat tomorrow. I dont plan on saving any files. I will let you know what happens.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

Good luck :thumbsup:

#10 11estrellas

11estrellas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

Hello, I'm back... I inserted the "emachines Microsoft Windows XP home edition System Recovery CD/DVD" and restarted my computer. There is Warning notice on the CD that says " the recovery process erases all data and files from the hard drive" (which I assume this is what I want to do). It asked me if I wanted to backup any files and I said "no". Then it said that I had selected to erase everything from my hard drive and I said "ok. It looks like my computer is back up and running normal.

I am not sure of something...Before I did the recovery, I clicked on the link you posted "reformatting windows xp" and somewhere in the process it says to select "format the partition using the ntfs file system". I dont think I saw this option anywhere along my recovery. Are all computers the same when doing a system recovery?

Why did you suggest this? "The best proceedure is a low level format. This completely wipes the drive. Then reinstall the OS.
Use the free version of Active@ KillDisk.
Or Darik's Boot And Nuke"........should I have done this before I inserted the emachines CD?

I installed malwarebytes free edition and McAfee virus scan. I ran them both and got clean logs. What do you recommend I do next? I bought my computer back in 2006, is there anything I can do to be safer? is there anything I need to download? What about the windows xp patches? are those safe?

Thank you.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

The recovery/restore process done by the CD did that step for you via a Quick NTFS Format. The links provided assume you have just installed a new hard drive with no partitions or file system formatted on it.

#12 11estrellas

11estrellas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

Thank you both.

I installed malwarebytes free edition and McAfee virus scan. I ran them both and got clean logs.

What do you recommend I do next?

I bought my computer back in 2006, is there anything I can do to be safer? is there anything I need to download?

What about the windows xp patches? are those safe?

Thank you.

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:07 PM

You're welcome from all of us here at BC. We are glad to have helped.
Please take a few minutes to read our quietman7's excellent Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:,in post 17. :thumbsup:

Keep MBAM and your AV updated and scan weekly.

Those patches are safe.
You may want to consider installing •Spywareblaster ..from our list here.... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

When you ran Malwarebytes did you just do a quick scan or a full scan? If you did a quick scan, then you maybe providing yourself some false hope that you are clean. I would recommend running a full scan if you hadn't already, and also try using http://www.superantispyware.com and post the results of both logs here.

#15 11estrellas

11estrellas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:21 PM

Thank you so much..... The reason why I ask about the patches is because I have read or heard somewhere that they were not good. Do I go to the windows website to download the patches? How many are there?

Do I disable the windows security center? Should I have this and McAfee enabled at the same time? What should I do with Java?

Thank you. Sorry for so may questions..... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users