Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Universal mysteries -

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 himagain

himagain

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:11 PM

Greetings all,
I DO have a query re a Virus - the seemingly perennial Tr/Dropper.gen - for elsewhere, but thought I'd say hello and stir the pot a bit.... :thumbsup:

1. I Use Linux a lot, nowadays. It has become a very human-usable system, especially since Ubuntu arrived and even better - Kubuntu.
It is free. It is fast. It is easy to drive, now. THERE IS NO VIRUS PROBLEM.
So what keeps Microsoft going?????

Except for a tiny few programs like DragonDictate and NoteTabPro, why would anyone use it?

Answers:
1. HABIT. It IS hard for an old dog to learn new tricks. AND
2. There is no money advantage in the PC Assembly business to sell boxes that run on free things.
3. Even pros need to keep it online to test their programs/designs as 90% of the world uses MS Internet Explorer.

AS a lazy writer, I couldn't go on without DragonDictate - only runs under XP VERY well and in MS Word.
So, I'm still stuck with it.

As a multi -website owner, I HAVE to keep designing/writing for I.E.
I keep forgetting that I'm in XP and I.E. and go doing things "out there" and of course, get infected regularly.

By now, by all logic, this VERY handy BBS should be outta business and the monster viral problem solved by us all going to Unix/Linux.
Even Apple VERY cunningly did - and did it so cunningly/well that people are paying 5 TIMES the cost for the same internals, just in a pink box. :flowers:

Oh well, back to work ............ HELP!!!!!!
Appreciatively,

Himagain

SYSTEM: Custom PC ASUS M/B F5GCMX/1333, Pent Dual E2180@2.00GHz, 2xG Ram, 2x500 G Drives, Syncmaster 930BF, GeForce 7300GS. Windows XP2 and Kubuntu 8.10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users