Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Firewall blocking downloads

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dave999

Dave999

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:11 PM

I have what appears to be a hidden firewall blocking downloads and updates. In the past I have had Norton 360, which was horribly slow, so I removed it and installed ATT's version of McAfee. When McAfee began having issues (not updating) I uninstalled the program and tried to reinstall it. That's when I discovered that I couldn't download programs. I can download the small installer program's, but when those run, I get messages telling me that it can't establish a connection to the internet, even though I am online using either IE or Firefox.

I have the same issue trying to install AVG, the installer downloads but when it goes to retrieve the main program nothing hapens until I get the "can't connect" message (I could download an .exe version and install it ok, but can't update it). I tried to update SpySweeper and a couple of other programs, with the same result and same message every time, can't make a connection to the internet.

I have placed exceptions in Windows Firewall, no help. I have shut Windows Firewall off, no help. I have used both the Symantic and McAfee removal tools, no help. I have gone into the registry and removed Symantec, Norton and McAfee entries, no help. I have no proxy's selected in Internet Options for both IE and Firefox, and I have tried to run these installers and update programs in Safe Mode with Networking, again with no success.

Obviously I am missing something. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dave999

Dave999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:14 AM

SOLVED

I ran Malwarebytes and discovered fake anti-virus program. I did some research and discovered that the malware changes the TCP/IP Properties from Automatic to a specific DNS server. The solution: Go to Control Panel/Network Connections/Local Area Connection Properties and click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). This brings up the Internet Protocol Properties screen. Look at the bottom of the screen and if "Use the following DNS server address" is selected, along with a IP address (in my case it was 85.225.115.34), then select the option directly above it called "Obtain DNS server address automatically". The IP address will go away and in my case the problem was solved. My software is updating as I am typing this.

Be sure and run your anti-virus, spyware detector and Malwarebytes' if you have it!!!!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:00 AM

Well done, excellent self-help...happy computing :thumbsup:!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users