Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 drive suddenly empty

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oproski

oproski

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

I turned my computer on this morning and all of a sudden I get a 0xc000000e "device not accessible" error. This came out of the blue. I booted into my XP install (installed on another drive) and noticed in disk management that the drive that Win 7 is on (an OCZ Vertex 60gb) was not initiated. Even after I got it online, the drive is still fully unpartitioned space. WTF happened? Is there any way to get my Win 7 install back w/o reinstalling?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

:thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer, oproski.

Hmmm...the operating system can't just disappear...sounds like it could be a hardware issue since you were able to boot to another drive.

Please post full system specs. Is this a custom build?

Does the drive show up in the BIOS?

Depending on what we can figure out in the next couple posts, this topic may be moved to the Internal Hardware sub-forum for you to receive better help. :flowers:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 oproski

oproski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:09 PM

Thanks.

Yes, the drive is recognized in the bios. But like I said, I can see it in XP disk management, so right now the drive seems absolutely fine. It just completely lost all my data. One thing I forgot to mention, when I booted XP the first time after this happened, it recognized the drive as new hardware. Could this indicate a firmware issue?

Yes this is a custom build.
Specs:
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo
Intel q6600 stock
2gb patriot memory
Nvidia 8800 gt
400gb 7200rpm drive
60gb OCZ Vertex

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

Could this indicate a firmware issue?

Ehh...not sure.

I'm not the hardware aficionado around here, so I'll have this topic moved to Internal Hardware so you can get better help...cause I don't have a clue. :thumbsup:

Just don't do anything to it yet. The data has to still be there. It's just going to be a matter of getting the computer to recognize it again. Sit tight while your topic is moved. :flowers:

Edited by elise025, 01 May 2010 - 06:08 AM.
Topic moved to Internal Hardware forum ~ Elise

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 oproski

oproski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:35 PM

After using 3 different data recovery programs to search for lost volumes (after accidental formatting, etc), all come up empty. It's like the drive went back in time to factory settings. In all my years of dealing with computer problems, I have never even heard of something like this, let alone dealt with it.

#6 oproski

oproski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

Another reason I think it may be firmware issues is that the drive is recognized as YATAPDONG BAREFOOT-ROM instead of the usual OCZ VERTEX. Anyone have any thoughts?

Edited by oproski, 01 May 2010 - 03:42 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

Worth Reading, IMO.

Louis

#8 oproski

oproski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

I figured it had something to do with firmware, but this talks about drives shipping like this and that's all the kind of info I've been able to find too. I've had Windows installed on this drive for over a year, this happened overnight.

Edited by oproski, 02 May 2010 - 10:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users