Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File sharing stops for unknown reason

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Todd_J

Todd_J

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

Hello,

I am having trouble sharing printers/files on a network. It seems for some reason the file sharing just shuts down. The printer will still show that it's shared by having the hand below it, however when you right click and go into sharing it shows the prompt warning about the dangers of sharing. Once I click the "Enable File and Print Sharing" everything works fine. Has anyone run into this?

All PCs in question are running WinXP SP3.

Thank you for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

So i found this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040.

Also do you have any third party firewalls installed? OR and anti virus programs?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Todd_J

Todd_J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

Thank you for the reply. I don't see anything in that kb article that addresses this problem.

All computers on the network require print sharing to be enabled. Of those, there are currently 3 that are exhibiting this issue. All the other computers are fine. There are no third party firewalls installed. Virus protection is provided by Symantec Endpoint Protection.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:20 AM

Symantec Endpoint Protection also has a firewall included. You may want to verify that file and print sharing is allowed.

#5 Todd_J

Todd_J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

Symantec Endpoint Protection also has a firewall included. You may want to verify that file and print sharing is allowed.

You are correct, Endpoint Protection does have a firewall, however it is disabled network wide.

If Endpoint Protection was causing this issue it would be network wide. This is only happening on some of the PCs on the network.

#6 Todd_J

Todd_J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:05 AM

Ahh..found it. The Security Setting "Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts" was set to Guest. I switched to Classic and all is well.

Thank you to those that tried to help!

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

Glad you fixed it and thank you for posting how you resolved it. :thumbsup:

Edited by computerxpds, 03 May 2010 - 02:29 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users