Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

?explorer acting up, only affecting 2 apps

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

First noticed this problem a month ago in Firefox, dismissed it and just switched to Safari. Today it happened to Photoshop.

Anything windows explorer related, like the open features or the task bars (very top of screen, [firefox logo] BleepingComputer.com -> Posting New Topic - Mozilla Firefox). It has started to respond to clicks with a brief "not responding". Drop down menus on photoshop in the save as show the same things.

I know its really pretty sketchy on details, if you need to, I could probably record the problem on vid.

Thanks,

jmki1

This problem doesn't have anything to do with the topic here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313626/hdd-size-arrors-bad-file-size-being-reported/
this problem had happened much later.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

Do you have any anti virus software and if so when was the last time you scanned and open task manager and see what is running.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:38 PM

Post system specs please...

Download Speccy if you need to and post a screenshot of the Summary section.

Are you doing heavy multi-tasking?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:08 AM

@computer I've got NIS2010 and it does automated sweeps, has found nothing worse then a few cookies I forgot to block.

@keyboard I do do some heavy multitasking, but it rarely eats up 100% of a system resourse unless I'm converting (Format Factory).

SysInfo:

AMD Phenom 9150e Quad Core Processor @ 1.8GHz
4 x 1 GB DDR2 800
Seagate 500GB 7200RPM 3.0Gb/s w/ Maxtor OneTouch 4 1TB External
ATI Radeon HD 4830
Viewsonic VA2226w 22in Widescreen 1680x1050
Realtek High Definition Audio
Logitec X-530 5.1/Noise Cancelers
HP PS2 119 Key Keyboard
HP PS2 Mouse / HP USB Mobile Wireless Mouse
Mouse Pad
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
ECS MCP61PM-HM
NZXT M59
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W

Sorry if it's a little overkill, its just a copy and paste from another site.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

My first inclination is to accuse Norton....try disabling it and see if the problem goes away.

If not, you can use a screen capture tool like Camstudio to capture the event when it takes place and put the video on YouTube or something so we can see it.

#6 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

Norton has been running before this problem has happened. Disabling didn't seem to do anything, and I am having troubles replicating the problem. It usually occurs around first boot.

Something that may have some influence on it is Game Booster from ioBit. It flushes ram and ends some processes and services so games run quicker. I'll record the problem if it comes back and you can see Game Booster at http://download.cnet.com/Game-Booster/3000....html?tag=mncol

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

Yes, that program is highly suspect to cause problems, especially if you installed it recently.

Whenever you have problems, the first thing you should ask yourself is "Have I installed any new programs recently?"

#8 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:53 PM

1.) DITCH NORTON! ANYTHING NORTON!
2.) Restart the computer with a decent AV program installed, such as AVG Antivirus (free for individuals)
3.) Use Intel Processors ONLY if performance is your goal. AMD is ~OK~ but if you need the machine to perform, use better processors & fast hard drives such as the Western Digital Black series.

In the meantime though, do #1 and #2 then send a report back telling us what happened. Open up the Task manager & tell us what process runs when it makes the PC hang like that.

#9 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:31 PM

1.) DITCH NORTON! ANYTHING NORTON!

If you believe that you haven't been keeping up with news, reviews and reality for a couple of years.  It's not so popular to say that for people who know about Norton since 2009 came out.  It has completely gotten away from its kludge-like invasive self since then (and it was all of that and worse).  2009 and 2010 have been re-invented, they run quietly and out of view without interference.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

Are you trying to access things on your external drive? If so that could account for the slow downs.

Edited by cryptodan, 02 May 2010 - 03:53 PM.

#11 maki2012

maki2012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:45 AM

@ninja, that program seemed to temporarily fix it, and nothing new had been installed
@paul and @rusty, Norton has been great and has given me absolutely no problems.
@paul i would love to upgrade to an intel machine and a better HDD but not anytime soon on a student budget. Though that new phenom II x6 is looking really good, specially if you OC
@dan, yep, i often access my external HDD

thinking back, the problem may have started when i upgraded my ATI drivers, but thats the only new thing i can think of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users