Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mother board Failure?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

This is a Dell inspiron 8600 laptop.

I am around 95% sure :thumbsup: its the motherboard.

Here is why:

The laptop had water spilled over it, so I took it apart and cleaned it.

It turned on once and then all that came on after that was the power light indicator. But no screen.

I plugged it in a external monitor and it had lines running across the screen, but nothing shows up on laptop screen.

When I push the power button the cpu fan in the bottom does not turn on. Or hard drive

I took out the memory and there is no beep for ram check.

The bios does not come up at all, besides the lines on the external monitor.

The monitor works the backlight powers it up and all.

I feel sick, please help :flowers:

Edited by JUICYboy, 30 April 2010 - 07:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

HI,

So did you take it apart and clean it and put it back together and turn it on the day you spilled water on it? I spilled water on a dell once and it is still working to this day i just let it set for a week.

Other than those words for future reference I would say there is no fix. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

Since you have nothing to lose:

Pull out the motherboard again, set the oven on 225F, strip what you can off the mobo and bake it for 15 minutes (worked on my cell phone). Hopefully it will boil off whatever moisture is trapped under components. Any moisture in the plugs (video/LCD, keyboard, hard drive/DVDROM/CPU socket) will cause headaches as well. Before you bake, you might pull the hard drive and optical drive out and try booting again to see if you get a bios screen.

EDIT: As to the post above mine, they sometimes do indeed "fix themselves" after giving them time to dry out. You might let it set for awhile.

Edited by dpunisher, 30 April 2010 - 02:42 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

No its this guys computer it has been sitting for at least 4 months since that incident. (he told me)

At first I cleaned the processor socket. And it turned on, but the graphics started to faid, as I let it sit. (started giving me lines of death)

So I took it apart and checked it again, but this time it turns on when it wants to but it eventually turns off.

Then there is lines down the middle. And it FAIL all of my motherboard test.

He is willing to get the motherboard I just want your guys opinion. :thumbsup:

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

Wait are you sure it is a dimension and not an inspiron 8600 laptop? I tried googleing it and i had almost no results.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

Im sorry :flowers:

you are right, its a Dell inspiron 8600.

I apologize :trumpet:

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

yeah i googled it and there were a lot if people that made that mistake. :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:38 PM

well as i see it he is looking at $100 for the mobo and however much the ram is for it and what ever other components that were in it not to mention a CPU. How old is the laptop?
sigcomp.png 

#9 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:50 PM

I think it is 4 years old.
I have all the components, I will swap out the Cpu, ram, wireless card, HDD, and DVD drive onto it.
Its the same motherboard with out components its $110 :thumbsup: :

#10 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:42 AM

ok well post back when finished to tell us if it fixed.
sigcomp.png 

#11 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

I will :thumbsup:

thank-you sooooo :trumpet: much for your help :flowers:

#12 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

You are very welcome! :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 

#13 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

No :trumpet:

I just got the motherboard in. I replaced it, and it is still doing the same thing.

It just turns on the power light but there is no power to other units such as the fans, or hard-drive, or screen.

It's driving me crazy :flowers:

Dell Inspiron 8600.

The only thing can be that this refurbished motherboard is faulty as well....

Well I would have to take a deeper look into it.

Please post your suggestion, thanks guys.. :thumbsup:

Edited by JUICYboy, 13 May 2010 - 08:23 PM.

#14 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

Did you replace just the mobo and not the CPU? it seems like the CPU might be bad, at this point I would start to eliminate each posible problem piece of hardware.
sigcomp.png 

#15 JUICYboy

JUICYboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:03 PM

Well the Cpu comes with the motherboard. Its all soldered into one peace, including the graphics card.

But I will have to look at it closely. I will take it apart again, for the 4th time. :thumbsup:

The only difference is that this motherboard got hot when I pushed the power button, while the other one(bad one) did not. :flowers:

I am starting to think it's the processor, but will a M.B. Power up with a bad processor?? Will the hard-drive power up with a bad processor?

Will the fans spool with a bad processor???

Well thanks for the help, I will get to the bottom of this.. and post the solution..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users