Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

Ok, here is the deal:

I have a couple of years old Compag CQ50 laptop. My wife bought it for me while I was in Iraq.

Somehow, I have gotten some viruses on it.

Now comes the weirdness:

Sometimes the "Antivirus Vista" virus comes up, wreaking havoc. Sometimes it does not. Something is erasing my restore points.

Something is preventing me from loading antivirus software, yet cannot be found by MalWare Bytes.

I had a friend work with it for nearly six hours, and while he got most of the bugs off, I was unable to use my synaptics touchpad mouse, or an external mouse. I want to wipe the thing and load Windows 7, but cannot do that until this semester is over, since I have a lot of data I cannot afford to lose on this system.

I need some help going through, and finding and killing these various viruses.

EDIT: Moved from Vista forum to more appropriate Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2010 - 02:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

Hello,

Given what you've already tried to do, I think we need to use specialized tools to resolve your issues. Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then post back here and we will provide you with further instructions.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

Ok, I have gone through the the entire FAQs, and have discovered a few issues.

I am unable to uninstall ANY programs.

I have tried creating logs, and have failed at it. Something is in this computer that is preventing me from downloading most things, and I think my problem may be worse than I originally thought.

Also, I want to hook up the whole auto notification of replies to this topic, but that seems to be beyond my abilities as well. I used to think I had some sort of ability at computers....and am realizing I am quite wrong.

Anyway, I need some step by step expert help.

One of these days I will win the lottery, and will do the world a favor by hunting hackers to extinction. They are like malaria carrying mosquitoes, and should be contained or exterminated.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,950 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

Hello,

This topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/33013/how-to-subscribe-to-an-existing-topic-so-you-are-notified-when-there-are-replies/ describes how to set up for e-mail notification. Please note, however, that the notification system is unreliable, so it is best to check the topic.

I've consulted with some others who have suggested that you follow this guide: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...irus-vista-2010

Please let me know how it works and if you experience any difficulties.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 03 May 2010 - 02:35 PM.
Forgot to insert topic link. ~ OB

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

Ok, did that, and have gotten rid of the one virus. Evidently, I have many, some of which are able to defeat MBAM. I used Avast, and it cleared a lot of stuff...but i have to uninstall it in order to access the internet aftwards.

Also, shutdown no longer works. I have to actually do a hard shutdown in order to get the computer to turn off and come back on. I have no idea how my computer has gotten so many viruses. I have always practiced "safe computing".

Now, I am still unable to uninstall many programs to include oovoo, and some old game files.

The AntiVirus Vista seems to be gone though.

Oh, and for a while it was preventing me from accessing this website at all. Does that help?

Edited by Libralabsoldier, 06 May 2010 - 08:53 AM.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,950 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hello,

The site was actually down for a while.

I take it you have followed the removal guide?

Are you now able to follow the instructions I posted previously in post 2?

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users