Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't UPDATE WINDOWS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 bc2bc

bc2bc

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

I have Win XP Professional, SP3.

When I try to do a Windows Update (www.update.microsoft.com) I get the following message:

"[Error number: 0x80072EFF]
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem."

I performed some of the recommended actions, like registering a DLL file without any results.

Even when I click on Windows Update Newsgroup link, I get the following message:

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" , while microsoft.com web page displays just fine.

What can I do to get the Microsoft Update working again.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:03 PM

Are you using AVG? If you are it does contain a linkscanner which can cause issues.

#3 bc2bc

bc2bc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(cryptodan @ Apr 30 2010, 02:03 PM) View Post
Are you using AVG? If you are it does contain a linkscanner which can cause issues.

No I don't.

I usually scan my system with Malwarebytes to remove any infections.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

Are you using any sort of Web Accelerators, Download Accelerators, or other speed enhancing software?

#5 bc2bc

bc2bc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

Not that I know of, never downloaded any.

Edited by bc2bc, 30 April 2010 - 01:33 PM.

#6 thicool

thicool

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

just throwing ideas out there, maybe enable Automatic Updates and let it update automatically, if it updates automatically, then try and access the Microsoft Update site.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:50 PM

What security software do you use?

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE(thicool @ Apr 30 2010, 01:48 PM) View Post
just throwing ideas out there, maybe enable Automatic Updates and let it update automatically, if it updates automatically, then try and access the Microsoft Update site.

That would be my first recommendation, as well. Automatic Updates are usually better than trying to do it manually.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 bc2bc

bc2bc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(cryptodan @ Apr 30 2010, 02:50 PM) View Post
What security software do you use?

None is on.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

Well that could be an issue. Can you get to other security based websites? Such as McAfee, Symantec, Eset, and others?

#11 bc2bc

bc2bc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE(cryptodan @ Apr 30 2010, 04:09 PM) View Post
Well that could be an issue. Can you get to other security based websites? Such as McAfee, Symantec, Eset, and others?

Yes, I have no problem getting to https://home.mcafee.com/secure/cart/?offerI...32&PkgQty=1 and other secure websites.

#12 bc2bc

bc2bc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:33 PM

Damn, I just had this website pop up on it's own!

http://206.161.121.90/search.php?id=563042...oken=4176017023

I did scan my pc with Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware earlier and they removed some trojans etc., is it possible there is still something loorking and blocking the Windows Update and launches these bogus websites?

Edited by bc2bc, 30 April 2010 - 03:35 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

Very possible, IMO, in light of the fact that you see no reason to have an AV program installed.

BTW...if you read the documentation which accompanies Malwarebytes, you will find that it is intended to be used in conjunction with a reliable, updated AV program. It was never intended as a substitute for such.

Louis

#14 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

I think that IP is part of an organized torrent scammer network. it is blocked by peer guardian because of the number of polluted and infected fake torrents.

If you have something on your system that is trying to contact an ip in that range, you are probably compromised, most likely a root kit that has gone to stealth mode.

I would suggest you next go to the "am i infected" forum and follow the directions in the sticky there.

You may want to only run bit torrent clients from an isolated computer if you are on a larger network and be ready to fix the computer you use by reinstalling from a known clean image or do a full nuke and reload.

#15 bc2bc

bc2bc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

Thanks guys.

I just run the Malwarebytes again and it detected and removed the following:

Local Settings\Temp\exSG.exe (Rogue.AntispywareSoft) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Local Settings\Temp\XDMl.exe (Rogue.AntispywareSoft) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully

Unfortunately, the bogus websites still open on their own and I still can't do Windows Update.
So it seems this "infection" is now well hidden and comes back when I reboot the pc or do something else.

If you have any ideas, please let me know, I will also post in the other section mentioned above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users