Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IPSEC driver (ipsec.sys) missing... how can I reinstall them?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ray192

ray192

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:09 PM

So I'm pretty sure that an antivirus program (Hitman Pro) figured that ipsec.sys was infected with rootkit and deleted it, causing massive havoc with my computer (you can read the thread I posted earlier for a more detailed description of my woes). Anybody know where I can download that file again? I don't have my XP setup disk with me right now.

EDIT: Okay I have the ipsec.sys file... but how I do install it? Anybody?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Edited by ray192, 30 April 2010 - 02:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

Please keep to one thread. Opening more threads about the same issue can lead to confusion.

#3 ray192

ray192
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

Please keep to one thread. Opening more threads about the same issue can lead to confusion.

I'm sorry, but I'm totally desperate. I have a project due in 6 hours and I need to use my PC, so I hope you understand that when the topic of my previous thread is revealed to have little to do with this one here, a swift answer for the immediate question is best.

Regardless, how do I install a driver like this on XP? I don't see any way of adding the driver to it, as only hardware drivers can be added... I uninstalled the old entry in hopes of just reinstalling it, but I can't find a way to do it!

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

The fastest way to get rid of an infection is to perform a format and clean install of the operating system (you would lose your files and programs). Although, you said you don't have your XP disk, so that could be problematic.

so I hope you understand that when the topic of my previous thread is revealed to have little to do with this one here

It has everything to do with the topic of your other thread. This was caused by a severe infection. Only trained members of the following groups: Malware Response Team, Malware Study Hall Senior, Moderators or Administrators are allowed to help people with malware problems. See here.

Posting in "Am I Infected?" (AII) is not the fastest solution. It can take days to get your first reply. You can get it fixed there, but not right away.

If you want to continue in AII, let me know, and I will alert the Staff of your desperate situation and get a first responder to you. But we can not give malware advice here in the XP sub-forum.

If you need a computer for your project, I recommend borrowing a friend's computer or something until you can fix yours. Removing malware in less than 6 hours is not going to happen. It takes time. Sorry.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#5 ray192

ray192
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the advice, but my purpose in making this thread is to emphasize that the malware concern is minimal right now, as I just mainly need to figure out how to restore my ipsec driver.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the advice, but my purpose in making this thread is to emphasize that the malware concern is minimal right now, as I just mainly need to figure out how to restore my ipsec driver.

The malware issue should be much much higher on your priority list then the ipsec driver, because if you do manage to get it installed whose to say you could further damage your computer and lose all your information. To me the malware issue needs to be mitigated first before we do anything else on your PC regardless of how desperate you are. If i was working on a project and it was due, I would ask for an extension and get my PC repaired as soon as possible to prevent other damages to your information. Rushing things along in my experience has only made things worse.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:50 PM

"Restoring" that driver will not fix your problems, as the malware is still rampant on your computer. The driver being screwed up was caused by the malware (which caused other problems I'm sure). You have to turn off the leaky faucet before you grab the mop...

I agree with cryptodan's last statement, as well.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:11 PM

It's almost impossible to fix an O/S issue that evolves because of malware...by overlooking the malware issue. The malware impacts the functionality of Windows.

As pointed out...format/clean install are the expeditious manner of handling malware issues.

If you had no malware issues...the expeditious way to deal with damaged/missing system files is to do a repair install of XP or run the sfc /scannow command.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2010 - 03:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users