Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two internet connections one copier

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dlite13

dlite13

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:46 AM

Hello,

I am running into a difficulty. I run several computers and have one copier. However the problem is we run two internet connections. I have a router connected to each internet connection but for security I wanted to avoid the network crossover. The users of the two networks don't have very much technical knowhow so the security is not that much of an issue. The two networks are more for bandwidth allocation.

So connection 1:
-Modem to Wireless router to copier (wired)
-5 computers run off of it.
-a switch is included
Connection 2:
-Modem to Router to Switch 3 connections to 2nd switch 6 connections

If this is confusing let me know. I am trying to see if a solution is possilbe.

Copier is a sharp ARM257
All computers run windows Vista or 7

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:57 AM

Not sure i completely understand, you have to different internet connections with two different networks? Is there a reason they are separate. You could just get a dual WAN router. or set up a server with two NICs and use load balancing and eliminate using two different networks. . . either way you should be able to bridge the networks somehow. I dont know a little confusing to think about. I diagram would be nice lol.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#3 dlite13

dlite13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

The reason for the two connections:
One for employees.
Two for drop in users.
Bandwidth was becoming an issue.
I will make a diagram of the network.

#4 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

So if I understand you correctly - your problem is that your copier is on one network 1 and users on network 2 cannot access it?

You can created a file/print server with two nics, one assigned for each network so that users on both networks can have access.

you can set up a routing table to route traffic from one network to the other using RIP or whatever.

or you can combine both network still using both internet connections by setting up some kind of server to do load balancing. I dont know how or where your users access the network (from their own computers, or from your workstations), but if security is an issue, you can create a VLAN or make a different subnet for the users to use that is separated from your employees.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users