Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question: Processor Upgrade for Gaming

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bit Monkey

Bit Monkey

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

I just got back from the computer store and got 4GB DDR2-800 RAM which will upgrade me from 2GB of the same, but I'm seeking some computer advice on my Processor. Currently my Mobo and Processor is operating at a FSB speed of 1066MHz. My Mobo is capable of going up to 1333MHz max. This leads me to wonder about buying more horse power with the processor. Currently my processor is:

Intel DUAL-CORE E6500: Freq: 2.93GHz FSB: 1066 MHz L2 Cache: 2MB

The processor I'm looking at upgrading to would be:

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q8300: Freq: 2.5 GHz FSB: 1333 MHz L2 Cache: 4MB

My question would be, if I upgraded the processor, would it improve any performance in game-play (particularly World of Warcraft) at all? Or does my current E6500 already optimize the capabilities of the System? If it would improve, what would it improve? I'll list my new Grahpics card specs below incase its a factor in the decision.

BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE 55 Graphics adapter - 896 MB - GDDR3 SDRAM

Processor / Memory

Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Clock Speed 590 MHz
RAMDAC Clock Speed 400 MHz
Video Memory Installed 896 MB
Technology GDDR3 SDRAM 448-bit
Memory Clock Speed 1.998 GHz

Features Nvidia SLI Multi-GPU Technology, Nvidia 3-way SLI ready, Nvidia CUDA technology, Nvidia PureVideo HD technology, Nvidia Lumenex Engine, Nvidia GigaThread technology

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

I would be hesitant to replace that E6500 with a quadcore for gaming, or sinking any more cash into a Socket 775 at this point. If you had programs that were really multithreaded and would take advantage of those 2 extra cores, I might change my opinion. Some of the newer games make limited use of quad cores, but it is no means across the board.

That E6500 is an insane overclocking CPU. I don't know what motherboard you have, but a lot of those CPUs hit 4.0ghz and higher. You will hit the wall on cooling, depending upon what cooler you have, but a stock cooler should be fine as long as you keep near stock voltage. Even at stock voltage, 3.5ghz should be obtainable, once again dependant on memory and motherboard.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

Yeah I have to say I agree with dpunisher I have a dual core Intel pentium and I have overclocked it and it works great on games such as crysis and Call of Duty. Also based on the specs you provided your rig is a pretty good gaming machine as is. :thumbsup:
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Bit Monkey

Bit Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

Hey thanks for the quick replys! MY motherboard is an Intel (Essential Series) DG41RQ. Supports a 1333MHz (max) System bus, Dual-Channel DDR2 800/667 SDRAM (8GB Max). The RAM I put in is DDR2 240-pin 2GB (x2) DIMM sticks. The RAM supports 800/667/533 speeds. I failed to remember that only 3GB of the 4GB is being used since I'm running 32-bit processing Window 7 Home edition. I also have a 650W power supply as well, so I am interested in Overclocking, but not sure if the Motherboard could support it. I know I'd probably have to get more cooling hardware. All I have is the Standard that came with the E6500, a cute little exhaust fan thats on the display portion of the tower case.

Any idea if the said mobo and memory could support overclocking? Iwasn't able to see anything on the actual motherboard box itself that mentioned it.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

Did you buy an Intel board?

Only way to really overclock is this:
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/341123...-mod-guide.html

Look at the 1066-1333 mod about halfway down. Almost like clocking my old AMDs again.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Bit Monkey

Bit Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

Yeah its an Intel one, only cost me around 80 bucks. Only one PCIe x16 slot and to regular PCIs, but hopefully it can be clocked?

As for the link man thanks alot! Look'n it up right now :thumbsup:

Edited by Bit Monkey, 30 April 2010 - 07:20 PM.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

I think personally, If I was going to upgrade to a quad, it would be a quad just as fast as my dual. If Im not getting twice the performance its really not worth it, so if I had a 2.93 ghz dual core, id look for a quad of 2.93 ghz or higher. Nothing wrong with upgrading to a quad though, im thinking of upgrading my aging athlon x2 6000+ to a phenom x4 945. So thats my opinion, if you think you want or need a quad core, thats not a bad quad, but id try to find a faster one if possible, if not the quad you had, will run better if the game is made for quad core gaming, if not well, youd probably have been better off with the dual.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users